Food Security and Intergenerational Justice
In today’s Western world, when we can order food at our fingertips, choose from a wide variety of everything, and have fruits and vegetables in and out of season, it is disheartening to know that every night millions of people are going to bed hungry. It was estimated that there were 780 million undernourished people in 2014–2016 (FAO et al. 2015, p. 9). Certainly, this number has come down from over a billion in the early 1990s, but still there is a lot of work that needs to be done to make the world food secure.
While achieving food security for the 780 million undernourished people is a challenge in and of itself, the task is even more daunting if we consider making future generations food secure as well. World Economic Forum estimates that by 2050, a global population of 9.8 billion will demand 70% more food than is consumed today (WEF, n.d.). There will be an additional stress on the food and agricultural sector worldwide. It is also likely that future generations...
- Bittner, R. (2001). Morality and World Hunger. In T. W. Pogge (Ed.), Global justice. Oxford, UK/Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishers.Google Scholar
- Brown Weiss, E. (1992). In fairness to future generations and sustainable development. American University International Law Review, 8(1), 19–26.Google Scholar
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). (1974). Report of the 64th Session of the Council of the FAO. Rome: FAO. http://www.fao.org/docrep/meeting/007/F5340E/F5340E03.htm. Accessed 3 January 2018.
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). (1996). World food summit plan of action. Rome: FAO. http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/w3613e/w3613e00.htm. Accessed 4 Jan 2018.
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). (2006). Food security: Policy brief. Rome: FAO. http://www.fao.org/forestry/13128-0e6f36f27e0091055bec28ebe830f46b3.pdf. Accessed 4 Jan 2018.
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). (2016). The state of food and agriculture: Climate change, agriculture and food security. Rome: FAO. http://www.fao.org/3/a-i6030e.pdf. Accessed 28 Dec 2017.
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and World Health Organization (WHO). (1992). International conference on nutrition: World declaration and plan of action for nutrition. Rome: FAO & WHO. http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/61051/1/a34303.pdf. Accessed 3 Jan 2018.
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) and World Food Programme (WFP). (2015). The state of food insecurity in the World. Meeting the 2015 international hunger targets: taking stock of uneven progress. Rome: FAO. http://www.fao.org/3/a-i4646e.pdf. Accessed 3 Jan 2018.
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). (2007). Climate change 2007: Working group II: Impacts, adaptation, and vulnerability. Cambridge, UK/New York, USA: Cambridge University Press. https://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/assessment-report/ar4/wg2/ar4_wg2_full_report.pdf. Accessed 27 Dec 2018.
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). (2014). Summary for policymakers. In Climate change 2014: Impacts, adaptation, and vulnerability. Cambridge, UK/New York, USA: Cambridge University Press. http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/assessment-report/ar5/wg2/ar5_wgII_spm_en.pdf. Accessed 29 Dec 2017.
- Kang, Y., Khan, S., & Ma, X. (2009). Climate change impacts on crop yield, crop water productivity and food security – A review. Progress in Natural Science, 19, 1665–1674. Accessed 27 Dec 2017.Google Scholar
- McKibben, B. (2011). Eaarth: Making a life on a tough new planet. New York: St. Martin’s Griffin.Google Scholar
- Sen, A. (1981). Poverty and famines: An essay on entitlement and deprivation. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Smith, M., Pointing, J., & Maxwell, S. (1992). Household food security, concepts and definitions: An annotated bibliography (Development bibliography) (Vol. 8). Brighton: Institute of Development Studies, University of Sussex.Google Scholar
- Thompson, J. (2009). Intergenerational justice: Rights and responsibilities in an intergenerational polity. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- World Economic Forum. (n.d.). Shaping the future of food security and agriculture. https://www.weforum.org/system-initiatives/shaping-the-future-of-food-security-and-agriculture. Accessed 4 Jan 2018.