Food and Agriculture in Bangladesh
Bangladesh is one of the most densely populated countries in the world. With extremely low per capita land, feeding its growing population has always been a big challenge. Simultaneously agricultural land uses have changed continuously and that in a way demonstrates the dynamic and complex interplays of ethical dimensions of socioeconomic, political, and technological forces (Khan and Shah 2011).
However, the rapid agricultural land use changes occurred during the last three decades mostly due to unplanned and uncontrolled urbanization and industrialization. This changing pattern of land uses has serious implications for the agriculture and food security of the country. In 1980, there were 9.0 million hectares of available agricultural land, while in 2012 it decreased to 6.0 million (Rashid 2012). It is important to note that in 1980 the country’s population was approximately 80 million and...
- ACDI/VOCA. (2011). Bangladesh – Program for strengthening household access to resources (PROSHAR). http://www.acdivoca.org/site/ID/bangladeshPROSHAR
- Central Intelligence Agency. (2013). The world factbook: Bangladesh. https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/bg.html
- Epp, R. (2012). Book review – Paul B. Thomson, the agrarian vision: Sustainability and environmental ethics. Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics, 26(3). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10806-012-9430-y. http://download.springer.com/static/pdf/934/art%253A10.1007%252Fs10806-012-9430-y.pdf?auth66=1363481241_75a8bb91145a4b37dafe6d451237f045&ext=.pdf
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. (2001). Ethical issues in food and agriculture. FAO Ethics Series, 1. ftp://ftp.fao.org/docrep/fao/003/x9601e/x9601e00.pdf
- Grimm, H. (2006). Ethical issues in agriculture. Interdisciplinary and sustainability issues in food and agriculture 1. http://www.eolss.net/Sample-Chapters/C10/E5-22-06.pdf
- Mahtab, F. U., & Karim, Z. (1992). Population and agricultural land use: Towards a sustainable food production system in Bangladesh. Ambio, 21(1), 50–55.Google Scholar
- Rashid, M. (2012, September 18). Future of farming and farmers in Bangladesh. Financial Express. http://www.thefinancialexpress-bd.com/more.php?news_id=143792&date=2012-09-18
- Wikipedia. (2013). Demographics of Bangladesh. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Bangladesh
- World Bank Data. (2013). World development indicators. http://databank.worldbank.org/ddp/editReport?REQUEST_SOURCE=search&CNO=2&country=BGD&series=&period=