The goal of creating viable synthetic meat in the laboratory and eventually in the factory has been driven by economic, environmental, and ethical concerns about the current state of animal agriculture. Livestock production ranks as one of the leading causes of deforestation, global warming, pollution, and water depletion, problems that will be exacerbated as the expanding middle classes in countries like China and India demand a Western-style, meat-heavy diet. The United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization estimates that “Global production of meat is projected to more than double from 229 million tons in 1999/01 to 465 million tons in 2050” and that the “environmental impact per unit of livestock production must be cut by half, just to avoid increasing the level of damage beyond its present level” (UNFAO 2006).
This technology, currently in its infancy with, as...
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2012). E. Coli (Escherichia coli) homepage. Retrieved from www.cdc.gov
- Chaudry, A. (2011). Cell culture. Science Creative Quarterly, 6. Retrieved from http://www.scq.ubc.ca/cell-culture/
- Corning Life Sciences. (2007). Celebrating a century of cell culture (1907–2007). Retrieved from www.corning.com/lifesciences
- Harmon, A., & Pollack, A. (2012, May 4). Battle brewing over labeling of genetically modified food. New York Times, p. A1. Retrieved from www.nytimes.com
- Jin, H., Skriptchenko, A., & Koo, W. (2004). The effects of the BSE outbreak in the United States on the beef and cattle industry. Fargo: Center for Agricultural Policy and Trade Studies, North Dakota State University.Google Scholar
- Krijnen, M. (2012). The need for meat. Maastricht University Web Magazine. Retrieved from www.webmagazine.maastrichtuniversity.nl
- Levine, K. (2008, May 20). Lab-grown meat a reality, but who will eat it. National Public Radio. Retrieved from www.npr.org
- McIlroy, A. (2006, March 27). Will consumers have a beef with test-tube meat? Globe and Mail, p. A1.Google Scholar
- People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. (2012). PETA offers $1 million reward to first to make in vitro meat. Retrieved from www.peta.org
- Sample, I. (2002, March). Fish fillets grow in tank. New Scientist. Retrieved from www.newscientist.com
- United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization. (2006). Livestock’s long shadow: Environmental issues and options. Retrieved from www.fao.org
- van der Weele, C. (2010). Global food security: Ethical and legal challenges (pp. 507–512). Wageningen: Wageningen Academic Publishers. isbn:9789086861545.Google Scholar