- 47 Downloads
Pandurang Vaman Kane is a great name among the galaxy of scholars who worked indefatigably to mine and propagate the great knowledge of the Indic civilization hidden in the Dharmasutras and Dharmasastras. A great indologist, Bharat Ratna Pandurang Vaman Kane was born in 1880 in a village called Pedhem or Parasnrama near Chiplun in the Ratnagiri District of Maharashtra. A great professor of Sanskrit and Vice Chancellor of Bombay University, P V Kane was nominated to the Parliament for his distinguished achievements. Being a prolific writer, his writings in English, Sanskrit, and Marathi run in more than 15,000 pages.
Scholar and His Works
The most significant work of P V Kane was the encyclopedic work the History of Dharmaśāstra. The first volume of the History of Dharmaśāstrawas published in 1930. It deals with the chronology and relative importance of famous and less-known writers and works and covers 760 pages. It begins with an introduction that gives idea and the...
KeywordsDharmasastra Sahitya Akademi Award Bombay University Indian History Congress Bhandarkar Institute
- 1.Banerji SC (1998) A companion to Dharmasastra. D. K. Print World, New DelhiGoogle Scholar
- 2.Sharma RS (2007) India’s ancient past. Oxford University PressGoogle Scholar
- 3.Kane PV (1930–1961) The history of Dharmasastra, 5 vol. Bhandarkar Oriental Research Institute, PoonaGoogle Scholar
- 4.Moghe SG (ed) (1997) P V Kane: professor Kane’s contribution to Dharmasastra literature. D. K. Print World, New DelhiGoogle Scholar
- 5.Presidential Address of PV Kane in Proceddings of the Indian History Congress (1953) WaltairGoogle Scholar
- 6.Rajya Sabha Members Biographical Sketches (1952–2003) Rajya Sabha Secretariat, New DelhiGoogle Scholar
- 7.Johnson WJ (2009) A dictionary of Hinduism. Oxford University Press, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 8.Derrett JDM (1973) Dharmasastra and juridical literature. Otto Harrassowitz, WiesbadenGoogle Scholar
- 9.Lariviere RW (1989) The Narada Smriti, 2 vols. Department of South Asia Studies University of Pennsylvania, PhiladelphiaGoogle Scholar