Institutional Research and Themes, Asia
- 50 Downloads
Higher Education in Asia: Current Facts and Emerging Agenda
Asian higher education has received increasing attention recently along with rapid massification and internationalization of higher education. In Asia higher education has experienced explosive growth over the past 20 years. For instance, the total number of students enrolled in Asian higher education institutions (HEIs) increased from 41,116,028 in 2000 to 121,388,036 in 2015, representing the fastest growing rate among UNESCO regions. As of 2015, students in Asian HEIs accounted for 57.1% of all college students in the world, an increase from 41.2% in 2010 (UNESCO 2017). The explosive increase in the student population in Asia has had a significant impact on the region and beyond. In addition, mobility among Asian higher education students has also changed the higher education landscape. The number of students studying outside their home countries was almost five million in 2014, more than double the 2.1 million in 2000...
- Association for Institutional Research. 2012. Interview with Junchao Zhang and Min Chen. e-AIR Newsletter 32, no. 12 (December). Retrieved from https://www.airweb.org/eAIR/Pages/eAIRNewsletterDec2012.aspx. Accessed 23 June, 2017.
- Association for Institutional Research. 2015. Learning Outcomes Assessment for Educational Improvement. E-AIR Newsletter 35, no. 3 (March). Retrieved from https://www.airweb.org/eAIR/Pages/eAIRNewsletterMarch2015.aspx. Accessed 23 June, 2017.
- Cai, Guochun. 2017. Rethinking “Chinization of institutional research”. Research in Higher Education of Engineering 2: 122–124.Google Scholar
- Funamori, Miho. 2016. The status quo and issues of institutional research in Japanese universities- IR offices at a crossroads in universities without regular university management. Information Engineering Express 1 (2): 23–32.Google Scholar
- Ju, Samwahn, Seyong Chun, and Bungsub Shin. 2003. A study on the factors influencing college choice for enrollment management. The Journal of Educational Administration 21 (3): 279–296.Google Scholar
- Kato, Takeshi, and Kenya Ukawa. 2009. Image of the advanced institutional research indigenous to Japan. University Journal 41: 235–250.Google Scholar
- Ko, Jang Wan. 2015. Institutional research in Asia. In Institutional research and planning in higher education: Global contexts and themes, ed. Karen Webber and Angela Calderon, 139–146. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Kobayashi, Masayuki, and Wenjun Liu. 2014. Toward establishing Japanese type IR. Recruit College Management (Nov.-Dec.): 6–13.Google Scholar
- Kominato, Takuo, and Toshiki Nakai. 2007. Institutional research at National University Corporations: The cases of Nagoya University, Ehime University, and Kyushu University. Research on Academic Degrees and University Evaluation 5: 19–34.Google Scholar
- Kondo, Nobuhiko. 2015. Big data analytics and institutional research for universities. Otemae University CELL Journal of Educational Studies 6: 11–17.Google Scholar
- Liu, Wenjun. 2016. A review of development and functions of institutional research in Japan. China Higher Education Research 3: 86–89.Google Scholar
- Rhee, Byung-shik. 2003. An exploratory analysis of institutional influences on college student withdrawal. Korean Journal of Educational Research 41 (2): 135–154.Google Scholar
- Qi, Shaoping, and Dan Xue. 2017. Topic domains and development in institutional research in China: A visualized analysis by knowledge mapping. Journal of Soochow University (Educational Science Edition) 2: 69–77.Google Scholar
- Saupe, Joe. 1990. The functions of institutional research. 2nd ed. Tallahassee, FL: Association for Institutional Research.Google Scholar
- SEAAIR. 2017. SEAAIR Brief history. Retrieved from http://www.seaairweb.info/. Accessed 23 June 2016.
- Shin, Jung-cheol, Jung Jungchul, Yang-son Kim, and Eun-kyung Park. 2008. Trends of higher education research: Research topic analysis. The Journal of Korean Education 35 (3): 167–193.Google Scholar
- UNESCO. 2016. The state of international student mobility in 2015. Retrieved from http://monitor.icef.com/2015/11/the-state-of-international-student-mobility-in-2015/. Accessed 23 June 2017.
- UNESCO. 2017. Enrolment in tertiary education, all programmes, both sexes (number). Paris: UNESCO Institute for Statistics.Google Scholar
- Volkwein, Fredericks. 2008. The foundations and evolution of institutional research. New Directions for Higher Education (141, 1): 5–20.Google Scholar
- Volkwein, Fredericks. 2011. Gaining ground: The role of institutional research in assessing student outcomes and demonstrating institutional effectiveness. NILOA Occasional Paper 11.Google Scholar
- Wuwongse, Vilas. 2013. History and Challenges of IR Activities in Thailand. 2013 Second IIAI International Conference on Advanced Applied Informatics. Japan.Google Scholar
- Yamada, Reiko, Asano, Shigeru, Kobayashi, Masayuki, and Mori, Rie. 2015. Emerging Role of IR in Japan: On National Survey with Comparative Views. Paper presented at the 2015 AIR Forum, Denver, Colorado, May 27, 2015.Google Scholar
- Zhang, Juncha. 2014. Institutional research and University Management in the age of big data. Research in Higher Education of Engineering 1: 128–135.Google Scholar
- Zhang, Junchao, and Chen, Min. 2012. The History, Role and Characteristics of IR in China. Paper presented at The 37th CAIR Annual Conference, Orange County, CA, November 7–9, 2012.Google Scholar
- Zhou, Chuan. 2015. Historical development and current demands of institutional research in China. Modern University Education 2: 1–4.Google Scholar