Collaborative Online International Learning in Higher Education
- 162 Downloads
Collaborative online international learning (COIL) is an online learning in an international setting, with interactive involvement of students and faculty from different international and intercultural backgrounds in and outside the classroom.
Online international learning is mostly associated with distance education and massive open online courses (MOOCs). However, a more gradual digital addition to international teaching and learning is taking place with less attention. A survey by the European University Association (Gaebel et al. 2014) among European universities showed a strong interest in e-learning, in particular MOOCS, but joint inter-institutional collaboration in e-learning received limited attention. Only 8% (p. 47) said that e-learning was an opportunity to internationalize the curriculum.
This ignores the important contribution that “virtual mobility,” “virtual exchange,” or “online intercultural exchange,” as it is...
KeywordsOnline Intercultural Exchange Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) Virtual Mobility Physical Mobility International Learning Experience
- De Wit, Hans. 2013. COIL – virtual mobility without commercialization. University World News, Issue 274, 1 June 2013.Google Scholar
- De Wit, Hans. 2016. Internationalisation and the role of online intercultural exchange. 2016. In Online intercultural exchange: Policy, pedagogy, practice, ed. Robert O’Dowd and Tim Lewis, 69–82. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- European Commission. 2013. European higher education in the world. Communication form the Commission to the European Parliament, The Council, The European Economic and Social committee and the Committee of the Regions. Brussels, 11.7.2013 COM(2013) 499 final. Retrieved from http://eur-lex.europe.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=COM:2013:0499:FIN:en:PDF.
- Gaebel, M., V. Kupriyanova, R. Morais, and E. Colucci. 2014. E-learning in European higher education institutions. Results of a mapping survey conducted in October-December 2013. Brussels: European University Association.Google Scholar
- O’Dowd, Robert, and Tim Lewis. 2016. Online intercultural exchange: Policy, pedagogy, practice. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- UNI Collaboration. 2014. Position paper: Virtual exchange in the European Higher Education area, 2014. Retrieved from http://revistas.usc.es/export/sites/default/gcompostela/en/descargas/COIL._Position_paper.pdf.