Internationalization of Higher Education, Emerging Economy Perspectives
- 67 Downloads
The definitions that guide this chapter relate to the duality of its focus. Firstly, internationalization of higher education is the “intentional process of integrating an international, intercultural or global dimension into the purpose, functions and delivery of post-secondary education, in order to enhance the quality of education and research for all students and staff, and to make a meaningful contribution to society” (De Wit et al. 2015, p. 283).
It is also defined as “an acute awareness of different nations in the world and the active, willing movement across national boundaries in processes of exchange. Internationalisation is intensified by globalization, but respects and supports the idea of nationalities and the sovereignty of nations” (Jooste and Naude 2005, p. 137).
Meanwhile, defining emerging economies in relation to higher education’s internationalization...
KeywordsHigher Education Internationalization Emerging Economy Countries National Imperatives Comprehensive Internationalization Strategies Student Mobility
- Cloete, Nico, Peter Maasen, and Tracy Bailey, eds. 2015. Knowledge production and contradictory functions in African higher education. Cape Town: African Minds.Google Scholar
- De Wit, Hans, Hunter, Fiona, Howard, Laura, Egron-Polak, Eva, eds. 2015. Internationalization of higher education. Study for the committee on culture and education of the European Parliament on “internationalization of higher education”. Brussels: European Union.Google Scholar
- De Wit, Hans, Jocelyne Gacel-Avila, Elspeth Jones, and Nico Jooste, eds. 2017. The globalization of internationalization – Emerging voices and perspectives. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Farrugia, Christine, and Rajika Bhandari. 2016. Opendoors – Report on international exchange. Baltimore: United Book Press.Google Scholar
- Hagenmeier, Cornelius in. 2017. In The globalization of internationalization – Emerging voices and perspectives, ed. Hans De Wit, Jocelyne Gacel-Avila, Elspeth Jones, and Nico Jooste. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Institute of International Education (IIE). 2015. Student mobility in higher education among APEC economies – Assessing the current state of data and process. United States Agency for International Development. New York, USA.Google Scholar
- Institute of International Education (IIE). 2017. Project Atlas Infographics 2017 release. http://www.iie.org/Research-and-Insights/Project-Atlas/Tools/Current-Infographics. Accessed 12 Mar 2017.
- Jooste, Nico, and Elize Naude, eds. 2005. Internationalisation of higher education – A policy framework. Port Elizabeth: Nelson Mandela Metropolitatn University.Google Scholar
- Teekens, Hanneke. 2015. The freedom to be: International education and crossing borders. 2015 Mestenhauzer lecture on internationalizing higher education. Minneapolis: The Global Programs and Strategy Alliance at the University of Minnesota.Google Scholar