Liquid Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry of Sphingolipids
In-depth profiling of sphingolipids can be achieved using a combination of LC and MSn.
Sphingolipids (SP) represent a heterogeneous lipid class that plays fundamental roles in maintaining the cell structure and in regulating signaling processes. A sphingoid (or long chain) base (LCB), the conserved structural component of all sphingolipids, with different carbon chain length, position and number of double bonds, and hydroxylations can be acylated with different fatty acids (between C14 and C26) to give ceramides (Cer). SP heterogeneity is then increased by the different modifications on the headgroup (phosphorylation, glycosylation) to give sphingomyelins (SM) and glycosphingolipids (Merrill 2011). SP are generally lower in abundance (<20%) when compared to their glycerolipid counterparts.
Several specific methods for sphingolipids extraction have been published in the last few years and have improved the detection of the low abundant...
- Busik JV, Reid GE, Lydic TA. Global analysis of retina lipids by complementary precursor ion and neutral loss mode tandem mass spectrometry. Methods Mol Biol. 2009;579:33–70. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-60761-322-0.
- Chaurasia B, Kaddai VA, Lancaster GI, Henstridge DC, Sriram S, Galam DLA, … Summers SA. Adipocyte ceramides regulate subcutaneous adipose browning, inflammation, and metabolism. Cell Metab. 2016; 24(6):820–34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cmet.2016.10.002.
- Hájek R, Jirásko R, Lísa M, Cífková E, Holčapek M. Hydrophilic interaction liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry characterization of gangliosides in biological samples. Anal Chem. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.analchem.7b03523.
- t’Kindt R, Jorge L, Dumont E, Couturon P, David F, Sandra P, Sandra K. Profiling and characterizing skin ceramides using reversed-phase liquid chromatography-quadrupole time-of-flight mass spectrometry. Anal Chem. 2012;84(1):403–11.Google Scholar
- Kyle JE, Zhang X, Weitz KK, Monroe ME, Ibrahim YM, Moore RJ, … Baker ES. Uncovering biologically significant lipid isomers with liquid chromatography, ion mobility spectrometry and mass spectrometry. Analyst. 2016;141(5):1649–59. https://doi.org/10.1039/C5AN02062J.
- Lee H, Lerno LA, Choe Y, Chu CS, Gillies LA, Grimm R, … German JB. Multiple precursor ion scanning of gangliosides and sulfatides with a reversed-phase microfluidic chip and quadrupole time-of-flight mass spectrometry. Anal Chem. 2012;84(14):5905–12. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac300254d.
- Narayanaswamy P, Shinde S, Sulc R, Kraut R, Staples G, Thiam CH, … Wenk MR. Lipidomic “deep profiling”: an enhanced work flow to reveal new molecular species of signaling lipids. Anal Chem. 2014;86:3043–7.Google Scholar
- Naz S, Gallart-Ayala H, Reinke SN, Mathon C, Blankley R, Chaleckis R, Wheelock CE. Development of a liquid chromatography-high resolution mass spectrometry metabolomics method with high specificity for metabolite identification using all ion fragmentation acquisition. Anal Chem. 2017;89(15):7933–42. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.analchem.7b00925.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Peng B, Weintraub ST, Coman C, Ponnaiyan S, Sharma R, Tews B, … Ahrends R. A comprehensive high-resolution targeted workflow for the deep profiling of sphingolipids. Anal Chem. 2017;89(22):12480–7. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.analchem.7b03576.
- Roux A, Muller L, Jackson SN, Post J, Baldwin K, Hoffer B, … Woods AS. Mass spectrometry imaging of rat brain lipid profile changes over time following traumatic brain injury. J Neurosci Methods. 2016; 272:19–32. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jneumeth.2016.02.004.
- Shaner RL, Allegood JC, Park H, Wang E, Kelly S, Haynes CA, … Merrill AH. Quantitative analysis of sphingolipids for lipidomics using triple quadrupole and quadrupole linear ion trap mass spectrometers. J Lipid Res. 2009;50(8):1692–707. https://doi.org/10.1194/jlr.D800051-JLR200.
- Sims K, Haynes CA, Kelly S, Allegood JC, Wang E, Momin A, … Merrill AH. Kdo2-lipid A, a TLR4-specific agonist, induces de novo sphingolipid biosynthesis in RAW264.7 macrophages, which is essential for induction of autophagy. J Biol Chem. 2010; 285(49):38568–79. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M110.170621.
- von Gerichten J, Schlosser K, Lamprecht D, Morace I, Eckhardt M, Wachten D, … Sandhoff R. Diastereomer-specific quantification of bioactive hexosylceramides from bacteria and mammals. J Lipid Res. 2017;58. https://doi.org/10.1194/jlr.D076190.
- Wang JR, Zhang H, Yau LF, Mi JN, Lee S, Lee KC, … Jiang ZH. Improved sphingolipidomic approach based on ultra-high performance liquid chromatography and multiple mass spectrometries with application to cellular neurotoxicity. Anal Chem. 2014;86(12):5688–96. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac5009964.