Fraser River Delta: Southern British Columbia (Canada)
Reference work entry
The Fraser River Delta is the largest on the west coast of Canada. Its upland, riverine, marine and bog environments are highly significant wildlife habitats, increasingly threatened by industrial and urban developments.
KeywordsFraser river Fraser estuary Fraser delta Boundary bay Burns bog
- Badzinski SS, Cannings RJ, Armenta TE, Komaromi J, Davidson PJA. 2008. Monitoring coastal bird populations in BC: the first five years of the Coastal Waterbird Survey (1999–2004). Bird Studies Canada. British Columbia Birds, Vol. 17. http://www.bsc-eoc.org/library/bccws5yrreport2008.pdf
- Bocking RC. Mighty River. A portrait of the Fraser/Douglas & McIntyre. Vancouver, Seattle: University of Washington Press; 1997. 294 p.Google Scholar
- Butler R. The Jade coast. The ecology of the north pacific ocean. Toronto: Key Porter Books; 2003.Google Scholar
- Butler RW, Campbell RW. The Birds of the Fraser River delta: populations, ecology and intertidal significance. Ottawa: Canadian Wildlife Service; 1987. 73 p. Occasional Paper No. 65.Google Scholar
- Butler RW, Ydenberg RC, Lank DB. Wader migration on the changing predator landscape. WaderStudy Group Bull. 2003;100:130–3.Google Scholar
- Cannings R, Cannings S. British Columbia: a natural history of its origins, ecology, and diversity with a new look at climate change. Vancouver, BC: Greystone Books 2015.Google Scholar
- Carlson KT, editor. A Stó:lo-coast Salish historical atlas. Vancouver: Douglas & McIntyre; 2001.Google Scholar
- Church M, McLean DG, Kostachuck RA, Tassone B. Sediment transport in lower Fraser river: summary of results and field excursion guide. Environment Canada, Inland Waters Directorate, Water Resources Branch. Report IWL-HQ-WRB-SS-875. 1987. 95 pp.Google Scholar
- Church M, Hales W. The tidal marshes of the Fraser delta. Discovery. 2007;36(1):28–33.Google Scholar
- City of Richmond. 2016a http://www.richmond.ca/safety/prepare/city/hazards/tsunamis/tsunamistudy.htm. Accessed 18 Feb 2016.
- City of Richmond. 2016b http://www.richmond.ca/safety/prepare/city/hazards/tsunamis.htm. Accessed 18 Feb 2016.
- Clague JJ, Luternauer JL, Mosher DC, editors. Geology and natural hazards of the Fraser river delta, British Columbia. Natural resources Canada. Geological Survey of Canada, Bulletin 525. 1998. 270 p.Google Scholar
- Environment Canada http://www.ec.gc.ca/media_archive/press/2001/010331_b_e.htm; 2001. Accessed 18 Feb 2016.
- Environment Canada. State of the Environment for the Lower Fraser River Basin. A state of the environment report; SOE report no.92-1. Co-published by the British Columbia Ministry of Environment. EN1-11/92-1E; Canada. 1992.Google Scholar
- Fraser River Aboriginal Fisheries Secretariat report: Forecast 2015 FRAFS Presentation FINAL (Mar 10 2015) pdf.pdf; B.C. Canada. 2015. http://frafs.ca/sites/default/files/Forecast%202015%20FRAFS%20Presentation%20FINAL%20%28Mar%2010%202015%29%20pdf.pdf. Accessed 19 Feb 2016.
- Fraker M, Bianchini C, Robertson I. Burns Bog Ecosystem Review: Small Mammals. Prepared for Delta Fraser Properties Partnership and the Environmental Assessment Office in support of the Burns Bog Ecosystem Review. Report. Sidney B.C. 1999. https://a100.gov.bc.ca/appsdata/epic/documents/p60/103643488864716af42884ae640f8553d621be48be92.pdf. Accessed 18 Feb 2016.
- Harrison PJ, Yin K. Ecosystem delineation in the Georgia Basin based on nutrients, chlorophyll, phytoplankton species and primary production. In: Levings CD, Pringle, Aitkens F, editors. Approaches to marine ecosystem delineation in the Strait of Georgia: proceedings of a D.F.O. Workshop, Sidney, B.C. 4–5 November 1997. West Vancouver: Fisheries and Oceans Canada; 1998. p. 3–71. Canadian Technical Report of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 2247.Google Scholar
- Hebda RJ, Gustavson K, Golinski K, Calder AM. Burns bog ecosystem review synthesis report. Victoria: B.C. Environmental Assessment Office; 2000.Google Scholar
- Kenner RD. Lower mainland dragonfly records for 1999. Discovery. 2000;29(1):22–3.Google Scholar
- Kennett K, McPhee MW. The Fraser river estuary: an overview of changing conditions. New Westminster: Fraser River Estuary Management Program; 1988.Google Scholar
- Klohn Leonoff Ltd, WR Hom and Associates, GG Runka Land Sense Ltd. Delta agricultural study. Canada/B.C. Agri-food regional development subsidiary program. Victoria: British Columbia Ministry of Agriculture; Fisheries and Food; 1992. Joint with Agriculture Canada.Google Scholar
- Kuwae T, Miyoshi E, Hosokawa S, Ichimi K, Hosoya J, Amano T, Moriya T, Kondoh M, Ydenberg RC, Elner RW. Variable and complex food web structures revealed by exploring missing trophic links between birds and biofilm. Ecology Letters. 2012;15:347–356. doi:10.1111/j.1461-0248.2012.01744.x/pdf. Accessed 19 Feb 2016.Google Scholar
- McClaren P, Tuominem T. Sediment transport patterns in the lower Fraser river and Fraser delta In: Gray C, Tuominem T, editors. Health of the Fraser River Aquatic Ecosystem. Vol. 1 & 2. A synthesis of research conducted under the Fraser River action plan. Environment Canada. 1988; p. 81–92. Chapter 3.4. Available from: http://research.rem.sfu.ca/downloads/frap/S_34.pdf. Accessed 18 Feb 2016.
- McClaren P, Ren P. Sediment transport and its environmental implications in the lower Fraser river and Fraser delta.; Environment Canada: Environmental Conservation; 1995. DOE FRAP-03Google Scholar
- Metro Vancouver. Burns Bog Ecological Conservancy Area Management Plan. 2007. Report. 29 p. (& attachments).Google Scholar
- Mills CE. 1999-present. Nuttallia obscurata, the purple varnish clam or the purple mahogany-clam. Electronic internet document available at http://faculty.washington.edu/cemills/Nuttallia.html. Published by the author, web page established March 1998, last updated 7 June 2004. Accessed 30 Jan 2016.
- Neu HJA. Proposals for improving flood and navigation conditions in the lower Fraser River. 1966. 79 p. manuscript. Institute for Ocean Sciences; quoted in McClaren and Ren 1995.Google Scholar
- North MEA, Dunn MW, Teversham JM. Vegetation of the southwestern Fraser Lowland 1858–1880. Vancouver: Lands Directorate, Environment Canada; 1979.Google Scholar
- Port Metro Vancouver. Deltaport Third Berth Project Environmental Assessment, Chapter Seven: Coastal Geomorphology. 2005. Available from: http://a100.gov.bc.ca/appsdata/epic/documents/p212/d19622/1108345982109_f26c46a9c4474ae28f98bc46cce3d3f0.pdf. Accessed 30 Jan 2016.
- Short FT, Wyllie-Echeverria S, Wright N, Durance C. Eelgrass, Zostera marina. 2004. Available from: http://www.birdsonthebay.ca/pdf%20files/Microsoft%20Word%20-%20eelgrass_brochure_outside%20July%202012mc.pdf and http://www.birdsonthebay.ca/pdf%20files/Microsoft%20Word%20-%20Eelgrass%20Brochure%20inside%20print%20version%20revisedJuly12mc.pdf. Accessed 30 Jan 2016.
- Thomson RE. Oceanography of the British Columbia coast. Ottawa: Fisheries and Oceans Canada; 1981.Google Scholar
- Ward P. Explore the Fraser estuary. Vancouver: Lands Directorate, Environment Canada, Pacific & Yukon Region; 1980.Google Scholar
© Springer Science+Business Media B.V., part of Springer Nature 2018