- 4 Downloads
A diagnostic description of the genus is given with special emphasis on the occurrence of succulence amongst its species. The geographical distribution is outlined, together with a selection of important literature, and an explanation of the etymology of the name. This is followed by a short summary of its position in the phylogeny of the family and of the past and present classification in a phylogenetic context. The succulent features present amongst the species of the genus are shortly explained as to morphology and anatomy.
This is followed by a synoptical treatment of the single species (succulent) of the genus, complete with typification details, full synonymy, geographical and ecological data.
- Cumming, D. M. (2006) Poellnitzia Uitewaal: Inferred relationships from limited hybridization. Alsterworthia Int. 6(1): 13–16.Google Scholar
- Daru, B. H. [& al. 2013], Manning, J. C., Boatwright, J. S., Maurin, O., Mclean, N., Schaefer, H., Kuzmina, M. & Bank, M. van der (2003) Molecular and morphological analysis of subfamily Alooideae (Asphodelaceae) and the inclusion of Chortolirion in Aloe. Taxon 62(1): 62–76, ills. http://www.jstor.org/stable/24389313.
- Manning, J. C. & Smith, G. F. (2000) The genus Poellnitzia included in Astroloba. Bothalia 30(1): 53. http://www.abcjournal.org/index.php/ABC/article/view/540.
- Manning, J. C. [& al. 2014a], Boatwright, J. S., Daru, B. H., Maurin, O. & Bank, M. van der (2014) A molecular phylogeny and generic classification of Asphodelaceae subfamily Alooideae: A final resolution of the prickly issue of polyphyly in the Alooids. Syst. Bot. 39(1): 55–74, key. https://doi.org/10.1600/036364414X678044.
- Smith, G. F. (1991) The chromosomes of Chortolirion and Poellnitzia (Asphodelaceae: Alooideae). Bothalia 21(2): 171–175, ills. http://abcjournal.org/index.php/ABC/article/view/884.
- Smith, G. F. (1994) Taxonomic history of Poellnitzia Uitewaal, a unispecific genus of Alooideae (Asphodelaceae). Haseltonia 2: 74–78, ills.Google Scholar
- Smith, G. F. (1995) FSA contributions 3: Asphodelaceae/Aloaceae, 1028000 Poellnitzia. Bothalia 25(1): 35–36, ill., map. http://abcjournal.org/index.php/ABC/article/view/709.
- Smith, G. F., Wyk, B-E. van & Condy, G. (1995) Poellnitzia rubriflora. Flow. Pl. Afr. 54: 94–98, t. 2119, map.Google Scholar
- Wyk, A. E. (B.) van & Smith, G. F. (2001) Regions of floristic endemism in Southern Africa. A review with emphasis on succulents. Hatfield (ZA): Umdaus Press.Google Scholar