A diagnostic description of the genus is given with special emphasis on the occurrence of succulence amongst its species. The geographical distribution is outlined, together with a selection of important literature, and an explanation of the etymology of the name. This is followed by a short summary of its position in the phylogeny of the family and of the past and present classification in a phylogenetic context. The succulent features present amongst the species of the genus are shortly explained as to morphology and anatomy.
This is followed by a synoptical treatment of the species (both succulent) of the genus, complete with typification details, full synonymy, geographical and ecological data, a diagnostic description, and, where applicable, notes on phylogenetic placement and relationships, as well as economic and/or horticultural importance.
- Burchett, M. [& al. 1989], Nash, S. & Richardson, S. (1989) Doryanthes excelsa as a commercial crop. Austral. Hort. 87(3): 36–39.Google Scholar
- Delange, Y. (2008) Chronique australienne. 2. Les Doryanthes. Succulentes 2008(3): 28–32, ills.Google Scholar
- Dimech, A. M. [& al. 2007], Cross, R., Ford, R. & Taylor, P. W. J. (2007) Micropropagation of Gymea Lily (Doryanthes excelsa Corrêa) from New South Wales, Australia.. Pl. Cell Tissue Organ Cult. 88(2): 157–165. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11240-006-9184-1
- Dimech, A. M. [& al. 2009], Ades, P. K., Taylor, P. W. J., Cross, R. & Ford, R. (2009) Population diversity of Doryanthes excelsa (Doryanthaceae) in eastern Australia. Cunninghamia 11(2): 213–219.Google Scholar
- Elliot, W. R. & Jones, D. L. (1984) Encyclopaedia of Australian plants suitable for cultivation. Vol. 3. Melbourne etc. (AU): Lothian Publ. Co.Google Scholar
- Forster, P. I. (1995) Doryanthes palmeri (Doryanthaceae): The Australian “Spear Lily”. Cact. Succ. J. (US) 67(6): 342–346, ills., map.Google Scholar
- Kapitany, A. (2007) Australian succulent plants. An introduction. Boronia (AU): Published by the author.Google Scholar
- Pedley, L. (1986) Cordyline. Doryanthes. In: George, A. S. (ed.): Flora of Australia, 46: 81–88. Canberra (AU): Australian Government Publishing Service.Google Scholar