A diagnostic description of the genus is given with special emphasis on the occurrence of succulence amongst its species. The geographical distribution is outlined, together with a selection of important literature, and an explanation of the etymology of the name. This is followed by a short summary of its position in the phylogeny of the family and of the past and present classification in a phylogenetic context. The succulent features present amongst the species of the genus are shortly explained as to morphology and anatomy.
This is followed by a synoptical treatment of the succulent species of the genus, complete with typification details, full synonymy, geographical and ecological data, a diagnostic description, and, where applicable, notes on phylogenetic placement and relationships, as well as economic and/or horticultural importance.
- Duncan, G. [& al. 2016], Jeppe, B. & Voigt, L. (2016) The Amaryllidaceae of southern Africa. Hatfield (ZA): Umdaus Press.Google Scholar
- Dyer, R. A. (1939) Description, classification and phylogeny. A review of the genus Cyrtanthus. Herbertia 6: 65–103.Google Scholar
- Dyer, R. A. (1971) Cyrtanthus falcatus. Flow. Pl. Afr. 41(3–4): t. 1632 + 3 pp. text.Google Scholar
- Johnson, S. D. & Bond, W. J. (1994) Red flowers and butterfly pollination in the fynbos of South Africa. In: Arianoutsou, M. & Groves, R. (eds.): Plant-animal interactions in Mediterranean-type ecosystems; pp. 137–148. Dordrecht (NL): Kluwer Academic Publishers. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-011-0908-6_13.
- Nordal, I. (1979) Revision of the genus Cyrtanthus (Amaryllidaceae) in East Africa. Norweg. J. Bot. 26: 183–192.Google Scholar
- Phillips, E. P. & Pole Evans, I. B. (ed.) (1921a) Cyrtanthus sanguineus. Flow. Pl. South Afr. 1: t. 25 + 1 p. text.Google Scholar
- Phillips, E. P. & Pole Evans, I. B. (ed.) (1921b) Cyrtanthus obliquus. Flow. Pl. South Afr. 1: t. 35 + 2 pp. text.Google Scholar
- Reid, C. & Dyer, R. A. (1984) A review of the southern African species of Cyrtanthus. La Jolla (US): American Plant Life Society (= Plant Life, Supplement 1).Google Scholar
- Snijman, D. A. & Meerow, A. W. (2010) Floral and macroecological evolution within Cyrtanthus (Amaryllidaceae): Inferences from combined analyses of plastid ndhF and nrDNA ITS sequences. South Afr. J. Bot. 76: 217–238. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sajb.2009.10.010.