Oman Energy Policy
Information on Oman
According to “Oman 2014–15” published by the Ministry of Information, the inhabitants of Oman have long prospered and flourished because of the country’s connection to the Indian Ocean trade. Since 1970, Oman has been under the rule of His Majesty Sultan Qaboos bin Said Al-Said.
It is evident from its moderate, independent foreign policy that the Sultanate of Oman has sought to maintain good relations with all Middle Eastern countries. His Majesty Sultan Qaboos pledged in 2011 to implement economic and political reforms (such as the granting of legislative and regulatory powers to Majlis al-Shura) and to introduce unemployment benefits. As a result of such a pledge, Oman’s Constitutional Law has been amended in a way that expands the powers of Majlis Oman (which consists of Majlis Al-Dawlah and Majlis Al-Shura).
According to the National Centre for Statistics and Information, Oman has a population of nearly 4.5 million, with expatriates making up 43.10% of the total...
- Ministry of Information (2015) Oman 2014–2015. Available at http://www.omaninfo.om/english
- Oman National Centre for Statistic and Information. Monthly Statistical Bulletin: January 2016. Available at www.ncsi.gov.om
- Oman Ministry of Oil and Gas. Energy for Sustainable Development: Annual Report (2014). Available at http://www.mog.gov.om/Portals/1/pdf/MOG-Book-2014-eng.pdf
- Oman Ministry of National Economy (2007) Long-term development strategy (1996–2020): Vision for Oman’s economy-2020, 2nd ednGoogle Scholar
- Central Bank of Oman. Monthly statistical bulletin, December 2015, issue 12(17), issued by Economic Research & Statistics Department. Available at http://www.cbo-oman.org/monthly/MBDecember2015.pdf
- Oman Authority for Electricity Regulation. Study on renewable energy resources: final report (May 2008). Available at http://www.aer-oman.org/pdf/studyreport.pdf
- Switzerland and Global Enterprise (July 2014) The Sultanate of Oman: major business sectors. Available at http://www.s-ge.com/sites/default/files/private_files/WZ_1407_E_Wirtschaftszweige-Oman.pdf
- A report published by the U.S. Geological Survey in 2012. Available at https://www.eia.gov/beta/international/analysis_includes/countries_long/Oman/oman.pdf
- U.S. Energy Information Administration. Geological Survey: 2012. Available at https://www.eia.gov/beta/international/analysis_includes/countries_long/Oman/oman.pdf