- 98 Downloads
This chapter provides a review of different types of congenital lesions of the skin including their natural history, diagnosis, classification, and treatment options. Most lesions can be approached surgically through a variety of techniques. This chapter aims to provide a familiarity with the diagnosis and help the reader develop a management strategy which satisfies both a functional and aesthetic outcome for these patients.
KeywordsCongenital nevi Blue nevi Café au lait spots Malignancy
- Elder D, Elenitsas R. Benign pigmented lesions and malignant melanoma. In: Elder D, editor. Lever’s histopathology of the skin. 8th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven Publishers; 1997.Google Scholar
- Lim Y, Shin HT, Choi Y, et al. Evolutionary processes of melanomas from giant congenital melanocytic nevi. Pigment Cell Melanoma Res. 2019. https://doi.org/10.1111/pcmr.12829.
- Marghoob AA. The challenge of managing congenital melanocytic nevi: remove or not remove? Presented at: 2013 International expert meeting on large congential melanocytic nevi and neurocutaneous melanocytosis; 2013 Sept 28–30. Marseille.Google Scholar
- Marghoob AA, Kopf AW, Bittencourt FV. Moles present at birth: their medical significance. Skin Cancer Found J. 1999;36:95–8.Google Scholar
- Mehregan A, Pinkus H. Life history of organoid nevi. Special reference to nevus Sebaceus of Jadassohn. Archs Dermatol. 1965;91:574.Google Scholar
- Mosa A, Ho ES, Heinelt M, et al. Management of congenital melanocytic nevi in the plastic surgery clinic: families’ expectations and their persistent concern about malignancy. Pediatr Dermatol. 2019. https://doi.org/10.1111/pde.13987.
- Rhodes AR, Silverman RA, Harrist TJ, Melski JW. A histologic comparison of congenital and acquired nevomelanocytic nevi. Arch Dermatol. 1986;121:1266–73.Google Scholar
- Sandsmark M, Eskeland G, Ogaard AR, et al. Treatment of large congenital naevi. Scand J Plast Reconstr Hand Surg. 1993;27:223–32.Google Scholar