Seismic Strengthening Strategies for Existing (Code-Deficient) Ordinary Structures
Intervention procedures to upgrade existing ordinary structures which are designed and executed according to older codes
Scope of the Entry
This entry presents basic principles, criteria, and procedures in regard to the conceptual design of seismic strengthening of existing ordinary structures and its treatment in current codes. In this context, certain code provisions constitute a significant part of the present entry.
Although it can be read by nonexperts, this entry is mainly addressed to structural engineers involved in the design of structures and interventions in buildings.
Notes on Terminology Used
Seismic: The entry is restricted to seismic upgrading only. Certain aspects of the methodology may also apply to upgrading against other actions. However, it is pointed out that the main characteristic of a seismic strengthening strategy is the fact...
- Greek Earthquake Planning and Protection Organisation – EPPO (2012) Greek code of structural interventions – harmonized text http://ecpfe.oasp.gr/sites/default/files/files/%CE%9A%CE%91%CE%9D%CE%95%CE%A0%CE%95_EN2013_FINAL.pdf
- European Standard EN 1992-1-1 (2004) Design of concrete structures – general rules and rules for buildingsGoogle Scholar
- European Standard EN 1998–1 (2004) Design of structures for earthquake resistance – general rules, seismic actions and rules for buildingsGoogle Scholar
- European Standard EN 1998–3 (2005) Design of structures for earthquake resistance – assessment and retrofitting of buildingsGoogle Scholar
- Wikipedia, the free Encyclopedia (2014) Terms “strategy” and “technique”Google Scholar