Soil and Water Conservation: An Overview
- Buffer strip
An area of land maintained in permanent vegetation that helps to trap sediment by slowing down runoff, thus enhancing filtration of nutrients.
- Conservation tillage
A tillage system that creates a suitable soil environment for growing a crop and that conserves soil, water, and energy resources mainly through reduction in the intensity of tillage and retention of plant residues.
- Crop residue
Any type of vegetative cover retained in the field and may include standing stubble, dispersed straw, living vegetation, or mulch.
- Soil and water conservation (SWC)
Any practice that reduces soil erosion and water runoff, thus conserving soil.
- Soil erosion
Detachment and transportation of soil and soil material from the place of origin by water, wind, ice, or gravity and deposition to another place.
- Farhan Y, Zregat D, Nawaiseh S (2014) Assessing the influence of physical factors on spatial soil erosion risk in Northern Jordan. J Am Sci 10:29–39Google Scholar
- Hurni H, Berhe WA, Chadhokar P, Daniel D, Gete Z, Grunder M, Kassaye G (2016) Soil and water conservation in ethiopia: guidelines for development agents. Second revised edition. Bern, Switzerland: Centre for Development and Environment (CDE), University of Bern, with Bern Open Publishing (BOP), p 134Google Scholar
- Ighodaro ID, Lategan FS, Yusuf SFG (2013) The impact of soil erosion on agricultural potential and performance of Sheshegu community farmers in the Eastern Cape of South Africa. J Agric Sci 5:140–147Google Scholar
- Jawuoro SO, Koech OK, Karuku GN, Mbau JS (2017) Effect of piospheres on physic- chemical soil properties in the Southern Rangelands of Kenya. Ecol Process 6(14):1–7Google Scholar
- Kahsay T (2011) The effect of land tenure systems on soil conservation practices in northern Ethiopia: A case study of Habru District in Amhara National Regional State (ANRS). Dublin, Ireland. Retrieved from http://kimmagedsc.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Tesfu-Kahsay.pdf
- Mariara JK, Linderhof V, Kruseman G, Atieno R, Mwabu G (2010) Poverty-environmental links: the impact of soil and water conservation and tenure security on household welfare in Kenya. J Dev Agric Econ 2:041–053Google Scholar
- Mati BM (1984) A technical evaluation of soil conservation activities in Kiambu District. Soil and Water Conservation Branch, Ministry of Agriculture, NairobiGoogle Scholar
- Mati, BM (1992) An evaluation of the needed soil conservation works along Minor Roads Programme (MRP) soil conservation. Pilot Project, Muranga DistrictGoogle Scholar
- Murillo JFM, Vicente ML, Poesen J, Sinoga DR (2011) Modelling the effects of land use changes on runoff and soil erosion in two Mediterranean catchments with active gullies (South of Spain). Landf Anal 17:99–104Google Scholar
- NEMA (2000) Environmental economics guidelines for Uganda. National Environment Management Authority, Kampala, pp 34–46Google Scholar
- New Zealand Government (2018) Soil conservation and River Control Act 1941. Public Act 1941 No 12. http://legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1941/0012/latest/DLM230365.html. Accessed 20 July 2019
- Nkonya E (2002) Soil conservation practices and non-agricultural land use in the south western highlands of Uganda. The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), Kampala, p 29Google Scholar
- Nyawade OS (2015) Effect of potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) cropping systems on soil and nutrient losses through runoff in a Humic Nitisol, thesis. University of Nairobi, Kenya, p 80Google Scholar
- Otieno HM, Chemining’wa GN, Zingore S (2018) Effect of farmyard manure, lime and inorganic fertilizer applications on soil pH, nutrients uptake, growth and nodulation of soybean in acid soils of Western Kenya. J Agric Sci 10(4):199–208Google Scholar
- Sjögren H (2015) Agroforestry systems with trees for biomass production in Western Kenya. Department of Forest Ecology and Management Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Umeå. PhD thesis, p 43Google Scholar
- Tesfahunegn GB, Tamene L, Vlek PLG (2014) Soil erosion prediction using Morgan-Morgan-Finney model in a GIS environment in Northern Ethiopia catchment. Appl Environ Soil Sci. https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/468751
- Violet NG, Gachene CKK, Ngugi JN, Thuranira EG, Baaru MW (2011) Adoption and opportunities for improving soil and water conservation practices in Kathekakai settlement scheme, Machakos DistrictGoogle Scholar
- Weimer CG (1980) Soil conservation in Kenya especially in small-scale farming in high potential areas using labor intensive methods, farm management branch project management and evaluation division ministry of agriculture, NairobiGoogle Scholar