Natural Resource Management and Food Security in Africa
- 2 Downloads
- Natural resources
are capital materials that occur naturally. After the World Trade Organization (WTO) (2010), natural resources can be thought of as natural capital assets, distinct from physical and human capital in that they are not created by human activity. Natural capital may be a potentially important input in a country’s “production function” – that is, Y = f (K, L, N), where “Y” is output, “K” is capital, “L” is labor, and “N” is natural resources.
- Natural Resource Management (NRM)
is about managing our natural resources to ensure environmental, social, and economic sustainability for both present and future generations in accordance with the principles of ecologically sustainable development (ESD).
In simplified terms, the natural resources management deals with managing the way in which people and natural landscapes interact.
- The food...
- Albert A, Emmanuel B (2011) Improving the supply chain of non-timber Forest products in Ghana. https://doi.org/10.5772/19253
- Boudet AMM, Buitrago P, de la Briere BL, Newhouse D, Matulevich ER, Scott K, Suarez-Becerra P (2018) Gender differences in poverty and household composition through the life-cycle a global perspective. Policy Research Working Paper 8360. World Bank Group, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Ashby J, Bergmark C, Chandler F, El-Beltagy A, Harrington L, Harwood R, Kerridge P, Nelson M, Palm C, Sanchez P, Swift M, Van Noordwijk M (2000) Integrated natural resource management research in the CGIAR. A brief report on the INRM workshop held in Penang, Malaysia. CIFOR, BogorGoogle Scholar
- Baumann P (2002) Improving access to natural resources for rural poor. FAO, Rome. 50 ppGoogle Scholar
- Bodart C, Brink AB, Donnay F, Lupi A, Mayaux P, Achard F (2013) Continental estimates of forest cover and forest cover changes in the dry ecosystems of Africa between 1990 and 2000. J Biogeogr 40:1036–1047. https://doi.org/10.1111/jbi.12084>.
- Bormann BT, Martin JR, Wagner FH, Wood GW, Alegria J, Cunningham PG, Brookes MH, Friesema P, Berg J, Henshaw JR (1999) Adaptive management. In: Johnson NC, Malk AJ, Sexton WT, Szaro R (eds) Ecological stewardship: a common reference for ecosystem management, vol 3. Elsevier Science, Oxford, pp 505–534Google Scholar
- Cayeux J, Dagorn J-C, Peggy P (2017) Ending hunger now: an analysis of the challenges facing the food system in Haiti. Report written based on a report by Crola J-D. Action Against Hunger, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Danida (2007) Community-based natural resource management. Techniocal report 2007Google Scholar
- Djoudi H, Vergles E, Blackie RR, Koame CK, Gautier D (2015) Dry forest, livelihoods and poverty alleviation understanding current trends. Int For Rev 17:45–69Google Scholar
- Douthwaite B, Ekboir JM, Twomlow S, Keatinge JDH (2014) The concept of integrated natural resource management (INRM) and its Implications for developing evaluation methods. Online, accessed on 31st May 2019–14:37. http://boru.pbworks.com/f/Chapter_14+pg+321-340.pdf
- FAO (2009) How to feed the world in 2050. FAO, RomeGoogle Scholar
- FAO (2016) Situation des forêts du monde 2016. FAO, RomeGoogle Scholar
- Haber S (1964) Efficiency and uplift: scientific management in the progressive era, 1890–1920. University of Chicago Press, Chicago. 181 pGoogle Scholar
- Hill J, Mustafa S (2011) Natural resources management and food security in the context of sustainable development. Sains Malaysiana 40(12):1331–1340Google Scholar
- ICARDA (International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas) (2005) Sustainable agricultural development for marginal dry areas. International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas, AleppoGoogle Scholar
- Josling T (2009) New trade issues in food, agriculture and natural resources. Conference Draft presented at the WTO TAIT (World Trade Organization – Thinking Ahead on International Trade) conference on 10 September 2009, GenevaGoogle Scholar
- Karamidehkordi E (2013) Sustainable natural resource management, a global challenge of this century in file:///C:/Users/hbouda/Downloads/25744.pdf. Accessed 10 Mar 2019Google Scholar
- Mauambeta DDC, Kafakoma RPG (2010) Community Based Natural Resource Management stocktaking assessment: Malawi profile. Technical Report, USAID. https://doi.org/10.13140/2.1.4546.3681
- Meseret T (2008) Capacity development for local participation in community based natural resource Management of Namibia: the Khoadi //Hôas conservancy experience. Master thesis. The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, CanadaGoogle Scholar
- OECD/FAO (2016) Agriculture in sub-Saharan Africa: prospects and challenges for the next decade. Chapter of book entitled agricultural outlook 2016–2025. OECD-FAO, RomeGoogle Scholar
- Place F, Meybeck A (2013) Food security and sustainable resource use – what are the resource challenges to food security? Report for the food security futures conference, 11–12 April 2013, DublinGoogle Scholar
- Ringler C, Zhu T, Cai X, Koo J, Wang D (2010) Climate change impacts on food security in Sub-Saharan Africa. Insights from comprehensive climate change scenarios. IFPRI Discussion Paper 01042.Google Scholar
- Resources Commission (NRC) (2014): (online: https://web.archive.org/web/20120208173746/http://www.nrc.nsw.gov.au/content/documents/Brochure%20-%20Resilient%20landscapes.pdf, accessed on 1 Aug 2019 17:20).
- Senge PM (1990) The fifth discipline: the art and practice of the learning organization. Currency Doubleday, New York. 423 pGoogle Scholar
- Slater R, Twyman C (2003) Hidden livelihoods? Natural resource-dependent livelihoods and urban development policy. Overseas Development Institute, London. 59 ppGoogle Scholar
- Stankey GH, Clark RN, Bormann BT (2005a) Adaptive management of natural resources: theory, concepts, and management institutions. General technical report PNW-GTR-654. USDA, Washington, DC. 80 pGoogle Scholar
- Stankey GH, Clark RN, Bormann BT (2005b) Adaptive management of natural resources: theory, concepts and management institutions. Pacific Northwest Research Station, United States Department of Agriculture, Portland. 73 ppGoogle Scholar
- Tryzna T, Davidson E (2001) World directory of environmental organizations, 6th edn. California Institute of Public Affairs, ClaremontGoogle Scholar
- Tyler SR (2008) Adaptive Learning in Natural Resource Management: Three Approaches to Research. International Development Research Centre-IDRC. Working paper 22Google Scholar
- UN (2009) World population prospects: the 2008 revision, population division of the United National. UN Secretariat, New York, USA.Google Scholar
- Walters CJ, Holling CS (1990) Large-scale management experiments and learning by doing. Ecology, 71(6): 2060–2068.Google Scholar
- WCED (1987) World communication on the environment and development our common future. The Brundtland report. Oxford University Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- Wheeler T, Von Braun J (2013) Climate change impacts on global food security. Science 134:508 https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1239402
- WTO (2010) World trade report 2010: trade in natural resources. WTO, GenevaGoogle Scholar