Beach Awards and Certifications
A set of administrative and operational elements that, through a process of systematic evaluation of preestablished requirements, guarantee the continuous improvement of the holistic conditions of the beach and publicly recognize its effective management.
Beach awards and certifications (BA&C) include all those programs and initiatives that seek public recognition of the management of one or several tourist beaches: awards, eco-labels, and management systems. This grouping is based on the fact that its evaluation process always seeks the delivery and authorization to use a registered quality symbol, which is identifiable as recognition for achieving management objectives.
This need for clarification is also relevant given that most scientific literature refers more to beach quality rating schemes than to certification schemes themselves. However, the separation between the assessment process (rating schemes) and the recognition of a desired level of quality...
- Botero CM (2013) Evaluación de los esquemas de certificación de playas en América Latina y propuesta de un mecanismo para su homologación. Universidad de Cádiz, CádizGoogle Scholar
- Cagilaba V, Rennie H (2005) Literature review of beach awards and rating system. Environmental Waikato, HamiltonGoogle Scholar
- Corbin A (1994) The lure of the sea: the discovery of the seaside 1750–1840 (trans: Phelps J). Penguin Books, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Lucrezi S, Saayman M, Van der Merwe P (2016) An assessment tool for sandy beaches: a case study for integrating beach description, human dimension, and economic factors to identify priority management issues. Ocean Coast Manag 121:1–22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ocecoaman.2015.12.003CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- PMRC (2007) Establecimiento de un programa de certificación de playas turísticas en la faja costera. Informe final contrato PMRC-022-2006. GuayaquilGoogle Scholar
- UNWTO (World Tourism Organization) (2002) Voluntary initiatives for sustainable tourism: executive summary. World Tourism Organization, MadridGoogle Scholar
- Williams AT (2004) The flag jungle. Fort Lauderdale Magazine, May, pp 42–46Google Scholar
- Williams AT, Micallef A (2009) Beach management: principles and practice. Earthscan Publishers, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Zielinski S, Botero CM (2012) Guía básica para certificación de playas turísticas. Editorial Gente Nueva, BogotaGoogle Scholar