Integrated Palliative Care: Clinical, Organizational, and Health System Perspectives
This chapter explores current literature and initiatives in the field of integrated palliative care. The chapter starts with an exploration of the concept of integrated palliative care, followed by practice examples across Europe, models from the literature, and examples from guidelines. After this, barriers and opportunities for integrated palliative care are investigated. Finally, proceedings from the World Health Organization are highlighted to picture an international perspective. We conclude that integrated care has often been considered and discussed from the perspective of better integrated healthcare delivery, which is needed and valuable. But efforts for better integration of palliative care should move beyond a better organization of medical care and need to be rigorously designed from the perspective of the suffering patient in the last phase of life, and their families.
- Bakitas MA, Tosteson TD, Li Z, Lyons KD, Hull JG, Li Z, Dionne-Odom JN, Frost J, Dragnev KH, Hegel MT, Azuero A, Ahles TA. Early versus delayed initiation of concurrent palliative oncology care: patient outcomes in the ENABLE III randomized controlled trial. J Clin Oncol. 2015;33(13):1438–45.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bone AE, Morgan M, Maddocks M, Sleeman KE, Wright J, Taherzadeh S, Ellis-Smith C, Higginson IJ, Evans CJ. Developing a model of short-term integrated palliative and supportive care for frail older people in community settings: perspectives of older people, carers and other key stakeholders. Age Ageing. 2016;45(6):863–73. Epub 2016 Sep 1.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bristowe K, Carey I, Hopper A, Shouls S, Prentice W, Caulkin R, Higginson IJ, Koffman J. Patient and carer experiences of clinical uncertainty and deterioration, in the face of limited reversibility: a comparative observational study of the AMBER care bundle. Palliat Med. 2015;29(9):797–807.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Centeno C, Garralda E, Carrasco JM, den Herder-van der Eerden M, Aldridge M, Stevenson D, Meier DE, Hasselaar J. The palliative care challenge: analysis of barriers and opportunities to integrate palliative care in Europe in the view of National Associations. J Palliat Med. 2017;20:1195–204.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Clifford C, Thomas K, Armstrong-Wilson J. Going for gold: the golds standards framework programme and accreditation in primary care. End Life J. 2016;6:e000028.Google Scholar
- den Herder-van der Eerden M, Hasselaar J, Payne S, Varey S, Schwabe S, Radbruch L, Van Beek K, Menten J, Busa C, Csikos A, Vissers K, Groot M. How continuity of care is experienced within the context of integrated palliative care: a qualitative study with patients and family caregivers in five European countries. Palliat Med. 2017;31:946–55.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Department of Health, London. More care, less pathway independent report on the Liverpool care pathway. London: Department of Health; 2013.Google Scholar
- Gómez-Battiste X, Connor S. Building integrated palliative care programs and services. Catalonia, 2017. University of Vic Eumo Editorial / Chair of Palliative Care / World Hospice and Palliative Care Alliance. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/317258932_Building_integrated_Palliative_Care_Programs_and_Services
- Hasselaar J, Payne S. Integrated palliative care. 2016. Available via www.insup-c.eu.
- Higginson IJ, Bausewein C, Reilly CC, Gao W, Gysels M, Dzingina M, McCrone P, Booth S, Jolley CJ, Moxham J. An integrated palliative and respiratory care service for patients with advanced disease and refractory breathlessness: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet Respir Med. 2014;2(12):979–87.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Neuberger J (chair). More care, less pathway: a review of the Liverpool care pathway. 2013.Google Scholar
- Omega. End of life care in primary care: 2009 national snapshot. 2009.Google Scholar
- Radbruch L, Payne S. White paper on standards and norms for hospice and palliative care in Europe: part 1. Eur J Palliat Care. 2010;17:22–33.Google Scholar
- Siouta N, van Beek K, Preston N, Hasselaar J, Hughes S, Payne S, Garralda E, Centeno C, van der Eerden M, Groot M, Hodiamont F, Radbruch L, Busa C, Csikos A, Menten J. Towards integration of palliative care in patients with chronic heart failure and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a systematic literature review of European guidelines and pathways. BMC Palliat Care. 2016a;15:18.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Siouta N, Van Beek K, van der Eerden ME, Preston N, Hasselaar JG, Hughes S, Garralda E, Centeno C, Csikos A, Groot M, Radbruch L, Payne S, Menten J. Integrated palliative care in Europe: a qualitative systematic literature review of empirically-tested models in cancer and chronic disease. BMC Palliat Care. 2016b;15:56.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Van Beek K, Siouta N, Preston N, Hasselaar J, Hughes S, Payne S, Radbruch L, Centeno C, Csikos A, Garralda E, van der Eerden M, Hodiamont F, Radvanyi I, Menten J. To what degree is palliative care integrated in guidelines and pathways for adult cancer patients in Europe: a systematic literature review. BMC Palliat Care. 2016;15:26.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- van der Eerden M, Csikos A, Busa C, Hughes S, Radbruch L, Menten J, Hasselaar J, Groot M. Experiences of patients, family and professional caregivers with Integrated Palliative Care in Europe: protocol for an international, multicenter, prospective, mixed method study. BMC Palliat Care. 2014;13(1):52. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-684X-13-52.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- van der Plas AG, Hagens M, Pasman HR, Schweitzer B, Duijsters M, Onwuteaka-Philipsen BD. PaTz groups for primary palliative care: reinventing cooperation between general practitioners and district nurses in palliative care: an evaluation study combining data from focus groups and a questionnaire. BMC Fam Pract. 2014;15:14.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- van der Steen JT, Radbruch L, Hertogh CM, de Boer ME, Hughes JC, Larkin P, Francke AL, Jünger S, Gove D, Firth P, Koopmans RT, Volicer L, European Association for Palliative Care (EAPC). White paper defining optimal palliative care in older people with dementia: a Delphi study and recommendations from the European Association for Palliative Care. Palliat Med. 2014;28(3):197–209.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- World Health Organization. Report on integrated people-centered health services: report by the secretariat. 2016. http://www.who.int/servicedeliverysafety/areas/people-centred-care/framework/en/. Accessed Jul 2017.