Palliative Care, Toward a More Responsive Definition
The World Health Organization (WHO) definition of palliative care requires clarification. While it has been interpreted as limiting its purview to people facing life-threatening illness, this definition makes little sense in low- and middle-income countries where the means to prevent and relieve any suffering are limited, including in people without a life-threatening illness. The most basic principle of palliative care, prevention and relief of suffering, requires that palliative care conform to the needs of the people it serves.
- Gwyther L, Krakauer EL. WPCA policy statement on defining palliative care. London: Worldwide Palliative Care Alliance; 2011. http://www.thewhpca.org/resources/item/definging-palliative-care.
- Knaul FM, Farmer PE, Krakauer EL, et al. On behalf of the lancet commission on palliative care and pain relief study group. Alleviating the access abyss in palliative care and pain relief: an imperative of universal health coverage. Lancet. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(17)32513-8.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Krakauer EL, Kwete X, Verguet S, et al. Palliative care and pain control. In: Jamison DT, Gelband H, Horton S, Jha P, Laxminarayan R, Mock CN, Nugent R, editors. Disease control priorities, 3rd edition, volume 9: improving health and reducing poverty. Washington, DC: World Bank; 2018. p. 235–46. Available at: https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/bitstream/handle/10986/28877/9781464805271.pdf?sequence=2&isAllowed=y.Google Scholar
- World Health Organization (WHO). WHO Definition of Palliative Care. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2002.Google Scholar
- World Health Organization (WHO). World health assembly resolution 67.19: strengthening of palliative care as a component of comprehensive care throughout the life course. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2014. http://apps.who.int/gb/ebwha/pdf_files/WHA67/A67_R19-en.pdf.
- World Health Organization (WHO). World Health Assembly Resolution 69.24: strengthening integrated, people-centred health services. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2016a.Google Scholar
- World Health Organization (WHO). Framework on integrated, people-centred health services. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2016b.Google Scholar