Subject Matter Knowledge Within ‘Mathematical Knowledge for Teaching’
Mathematics subject matter knowledge refers to knowledge of the discipline’s body of concepts, procedures, and processes, of deriving results and warrants for these processes. Mathematics subject matter knowledge within mathematics knowledge for teaching includes awareness of definitions and their implications and of representations and rationales for problem-solving processes.
An elaborated description is provided by Shulman below
It was Shulman’s Presidential Address at the 1985 annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, and its following publications (Shulman 1986, 1987), that placed content knowledge in and for teaching firmly on the educational research, policy, and practice agenda. Shulman developed this focus from a critique of research on teaching at the time, arguing that attention is needed as much to “the content aspects of teaching as we have recently devoted to the elements of teaching process” (1986, p. 8), and elaborated...
KeywordsSubject matter knowledge Mathematical knowledge for teaching Lee Shulman Deborah Ball COACTIV
- Adler J, Ball D (eds) (2009) Special issue: knowing and using mathematics in teaching. Learn Math 29(3):2–3Google Scholar
- Hoover M, Mosvold R, Ball D, Lai Y (2016) Making progress on mathematical knowledge for teaching. Math Enthus 13(1&2):3–34Google Scholar
- Klein F (1933) Elementarmathematik vom ho¨heren Standpunkte aus [Elementary mathematics from a higher viewpoint]. Springer, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- Ma L (1999) Knowing and teaching elementary mathematics: teachers’ understandings of fundamental mathematics in China and the United States. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, MahwahGoogle Scholar
- Rowland T, Ruthven K (eds) (2011) Mathematical knowledge in teaching. Springer, DordrechtGoogle Scholar
- Zevenbergen R, Lowrie T (2017) Pedagogical and mathematical capital: does teacher education make a difference? In: Cronaki A (ed) Mathematics education and life at times of crisis. http://mes9.ece.uth.gr/portal/images/proceedings/MES9_Proceedings_low_Volume1.pdfGoogle Scholar