Perioperative Care of the Thoracic Oncologic Patient Undergoing EBUS, Thoracotomy, and Pneumonectomy
Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer-related deaths in the United States, categorized into small cell and non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). The higher-occurring NSCLC accounts for 85% of lung cancer cases in the United States. Due to its late presentation at diagnosis, NSCLC has a poor prognostic outcome. The insidious process of NSCLC necessitates accurate diagnosis and prompt disease treatment and management by an interdisciplinary team. Endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration is utilized for staging mediastinal lymph nodes and is usually performed under general anesthesia. Upon diagnosis, disease management of NSCLC is based upon tumor stage and clinical presentation.
KeywordsLung cancer Non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC), Endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS) Fiber-optic bronchoscopy Anesthesia Transbronchial needle aspiration (TBNA) Thoracotomy Pneumonectomy
- 2.Abdelmalak B, Sarkiss M. Anesthesia for diagnostic bronchoscopic surgery. In: Abdelmalak B, Doyle DJ, editors. Anesthesia for otolaryngologic surgery. New York: Cambridge University Press; 2013. p. 297–309.Google Scholar
- 4.Agostini P, Lugg ST, Adams K, et al. Postoperative pulmonary complications and rehabilitation requirements following lobectomy: a propensity score matched study of patients undergoing video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery versus thoracotomy. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2017;24(6):931–7.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.American Cancer Society. About non-small cell lung cancer. 2018. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/small-cell-lung-cancer/about.html. Accessed 1 June 2018.
- 7.American Cancer Society. Non-small cell lung cancer survival rates, by stage. 2018. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/non-small-cell-lung-cancer/detection-diagnosis-staging/survival-rates.html Accessed 1 Sept 2018.
- 9.Casal R, Lazarus D, Kuhl K, et al. Randomized trial of endobronchial ultrasound–guided transbronchial needle aspiration under general anesthesia versus moderate sedation. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2015;191:796–803. https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.201409-1615oc.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 13.Detterbeck FC, Mazzone PJ, Naidich DP, et al. Screening for lung cancer: diagnosis and management of lung cancer, 3rd ed: American College of Chest Physicians evidence-based Clinical Practice Guidelines. Chest. 2013;143(5 Suppl):e78S–92S. https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.12-2350.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 18.Ginsberg RJ, Vokes EE, Raben A. Non-small cell lung cancer. In: Devita Jr VT, Hellman S, Rosenberg SA, editors. Cancer: principles and practice of oncology. 5th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven; 1997. p. 858–911.Google Scholar
- 22.Nelson R. Lung cancer rates surging in never-smokers. Medscape Medical News. 2015. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle850708. Accessed 1 June 2018.
- 32.World Health Organization, International Agency for Research on Cancer. GLOBOCAN: estimated cancer incidence, mortality, and prevalence worldwide in 2012. International Agency for Research on Cancer. 2012. http://globocan.iarc.fr/default.aspx. Accessed 19 June 2018.