Pollution Prevention and Control Strategies, Implications and Challenges
Pollution has been discussed ever since industrial revolution has brought the bonuses and onuses of industrial and technological development. According to the English Oxford Dictionary (OXFORD 2019), pollution is “the presence in or introduction into the environment of a substance which has harmful or poisonous effects.” In summary, it is something that can cause harm to the environment.
Human activities have been throwing at the environment the need to deal with materials in forms previously unknown. The discovery and advancement of materials and products temporarily useful to humans also bring the need to control all the harm done to the environment caused by artificial production activities, thus the concept of pollution control. Pollution control embeds the series of methods, techniques, technologies, practices, and policies used to reduce or eliminate the emission of pollutants to the environment, whereas pollution preventionis any practice that deals with pollution...
This work was supported by the Coordination of Improvement of Higher Education Personnel (CAPES) and the Federal University of Technology – Paraná (UTFPR), Brazil.
- Anderson D (1990) Environmental policy and the public revenue in developing countries. Environment working paper no. 36. Environment Department, The World Bank: Washington, DC. (EUA)Google Scholar
- Biller D (1994) Informal gold mining and mercury pollution in Brazil, vol 1304. World Bank Publications. http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/481431468743647767/pdf/multi-page.pdf. Accessed 26 May 2019
- Bruce N, Ellis GM (1993) Environmental taxes and policies for developing countries (Vol. 1177). World Bank Publications. Washington, DC (EUA)Google Scholar
- Deloitte Monitor (2017) Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited. https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/de/Documents/consumer-industrial-products/CIP-Automotive-Car-Sharing-in-Europe.pdf. Accessed 23 May 2019
- EPA (United States Environmental Protection Agency) (2019) Pollution prevention (P2). https://www.epa.gov/p2. Accessed 21 May 2019
- Eskeland GS, Jimenez E (1991) Choosing policy instruments for pollution control: a review, vol 624. The World Bank, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- Go Car Share (2019) Journeys are better together. https://gocarshare.com/. Accessed 22 May 2019
- Hamilton JT (2005) Environmental equity and the siting of hazardous waste facilities in OECD countries: evidence and policies. The International Yearbook of Environmental and Resource Economics 2005/2006, 97. http://www.oecd.org/greengrowth/tools-evaluation/38436943.pdf. Accessed 26 May 2019
- Harland J (2012) Why the road to sustainability starts with pollution prevention. https://www.greenbiz.com/blog/2012/03/06/why-road-sustainability-starts-pollution-prevention. Accessed 28 June 2019
- MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) (2019) Pollution prevention. https://ehs.mit.edu/site/environmental-stewardship/pollution-prevention. Accessed 28 June 2019
- Mobike (2018) Join the movement. https://mobike.com/global/. Accessed 23 May 2019
- NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) (2019) Federal Facility Pollution Prevention Planning Guide. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&channel=trow&q=noaa. Accessed 28 June 2019
- Ofo (2017) Bicycle sharing company. http://www.ofo.com/#/. Accessed 23 May 2019
- OXFORD. Pollution. https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/pollution. Accessed 21 May 2019
- Parry IW, Sigman H, Walls M et al (2006) The incidence of pollution control policies. The International Yearbook of Environmental and Resource Economics 2006/2007:1–42. https://doi.org/10.3386/w11438
- Stanford (2019) Zero Waste Program at SLAC. http://www-group.slac.stanford.edu/esh/groups/ep/ppwm/. Accessed 28 June 2019
- Transport for London (2019) Ultra low emission zone. https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone. Accessed 23 May 2019
- UN (United Nations) (2015) The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development Goals. https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/?menu=1300. Accessed 22 May 2019
- Yellow (2018) Enjoy your ride around the city. https://www.yellow.app/. Accessed 23 May 2019