Environmental Ethics and Justice for Sustainable Cities
Environmental Ethics is concerned with the study of the moral relationship between the human species (Homo sapiens) and the environment, of human responsibility toward nature and its elements, and of the intrinsic value of nature and its nonhuman components (Shrader-Frechette 2015; Brennan and Lo 2016).
Environmental Justice refers mainly to the distribution of environmental equity otherwise put as fair distribution of negative and positive effects (Schlosbergh 2004). It rests on the principle that all people and communities are entitled to equal protection of environmental and public health laws and regulations (Bullard 1996).
Do Sustainable Cities Embed Environmental Justice?
The continuous growth of cities poses enormous challenges as urban sprawls imprint consequences both in the lives of their dwellers and in the lives of the rest of the population that does not live in cities. Constant...
- Brennan A, Lo YS (2016) Environmental ethics. In: Zalta EN (ed) The stanford encyclopedia of philosophy. (Winter 2016 ed) Available via https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/ethics-environmental/Google Scholar
- Fox W (ed) (2000) Ethics and the built environment. Routledge, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Gardiner SM, Thompson A (eds) (2015) The Oxford handbook of environmental ethics. Oxford University Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- Mitchell G (2011) Environmental justice: an overview. In: Nriagu JO (ed) Encyclopedia of environmental health, pp 449–458. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-444-52272-6.00704-2CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pojman LP (2001) Environmental ethics. Readings in theory and application. Thomson learning, WadsworthGoogle Scholar
- Shrader-Frechette K (2015) Environmental ethics. In: La Follette H (ed) The oxford handbook of practical ethics. Oxford University Press. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordhb/9780199284238.003.0009
- The UN Global Compact – Cities Programme (2016) Ethical cities: locking in liveability. World Vision. RMIT University. Melbourne, 16 Feb 2016. Available via https://www.wvi.org/sites/default/files/Ethical%20Cities%20UTC%20Final%20Report.pdf. Accessed 20 Sep 2018
- UN-Habitat (2016) World Cities Report 2016: urbanization and development – emerging futures. UN-HABITAT. Available via https://unhabitat.org/books/world-cities-report/. Accessed 20 Sep 2018
- Vanderheiden S (2016) Environmental and climate justice. In: Gabrielson T, Hall C, Meyer JM, Schlosberg D (eds) The Oxford handbook of environmental political theory. Oxford University Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar