Vertebral Artery Aneurysm: Ruptured Dissecting Aneurysm, Implantation of Telescoping p48_HPC Flow Diverter Stents under Antiaggregation with ASA Only
A 66-year-old male patient sustained blunt trauma to the head and neck during a seizure following alcohol withdrawal. Two days later, he developed massive subarachnoid hemorrhage (SAH) and was found to have a ruptured left vertebral artery dissecting aneurysm (V4 segment). He was successfully treated with the insertion of telescoping p48_HPC flow diverter stents under monoantiplatelet therapy and made a full recovery. Flow diverter stents offer a possibility for effective treatment in intracranial hemorrhage in the absence of other clinically viable options or as an alternative to parent vessel occlusion. The usage of flow diverter stents with reduced thrombogenicity due to hydrophilic surface coating is the main topic of this chapter.
KeywordsVertebral artery Dissecting aneurysm Subarachnoid hemorrhage SAH p48_HPC Flow diversion Hydrophilic coating ASA only
- Ali MS, Amenta PS, Starke RM, Jabbour PM, Gonzalez LF, Tjoumakaris SI, Flanders AE, Rosenwasser RH, Dumont AS. Intracranial vertebral artery dissections: evolving perspectives. Interv Neuroradiol. 2012;18(4):469–83. https://doi.org/10.1177/159101991201800414.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Becske T, Brinjikji W, Potts MB, Kallmes DF, Shapiro M, Moran CJ, Levy EI, McDougall CG, Szikora I, Lanzino G, Woo HH, Lopes DK, Siddiqui AH, Albuquerque FC, Fiorella DJ, Saatci I, Cekirge SH, Berez AL, Cher DJ, Berentei Z, Marosfoi M, Nelson PK. Long-term clinical and angiographic outcomes following pipeline embolization device treatment of complex internal carotid artery aneurysms: five-year results of the pipeline for uncoilable or failed aneurysms trial. Neurosurgery. 2017;80(1):40–8. https://doi.org/10.1093/neuros/nyw014.
- Chiu AH, Ramesh R, Wenderoth J, Davies M, Cheung A. Use of aspirin as sole oral antiplatelet therapy in acute flow diversion for ruptured dissecting aneurysms. J Neurointerv Surg. 2017;9(5):e18. https://doi.org/10.1136/neurintsurg-2016-012657.rep.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Cohen JE, Gomori JM, Rajz G, Rosenthal G, El Hassan HA, Moscovici S, Itshayek E. Vertebral artery pseudoaneurysms secondary to blunt trauma: endovascular management by means of neurostents and flow diverters. J Clin Neurosci. 2016;32:77–82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jocn.2016.03.023.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Edwards NJ, Jones WH, Sanzgiri A, Corona J, Dannenbaum M, Chen PR. Antiplatelet therapy for the prevention of peri-coiling thromboembolism in high-risk patients with ruptured intracranial aneurysms. J Neurosurg. 2017;127(6):1326–32. https://doi.org/10.3171/2016.9.JNS161340.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Harrigan MR, Hadley MN, Dhall SS, Walters BC, Aarabi B, Gelb DE, Hurlbert RJ, Rozzelle CJ, Ryken TC, Theodore N. Management of vertebral artery injuries following non-penetrating cervical trauma. Neurosurgery. 2013;72(Suppl 2):234–43. https://doi.org/10.1227/NEU.0b013e31827765f5.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kallmes DF, Hanel R, Lopes D, Boccardi E, Bonafé A, Cekirge S, Fiorella D, Jabbour P, Levy E, McDougall C, Siddiqui A, Szikora I, Woo H, Albuquerque F, Bozorgchami H, Dashti SR, Delgado Almandoz JE, Kelly ME, Turner R 4th, Woodward BK, Brinjikji W, Lanzino G, Lylyk P. International retrospective study of the pipeline embolization device: a multicenter aneurysm treatment study. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2015;36(1):108–15. https://doi.org/10.3174/ajnr.A4111.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kallmes DF, Brinjikji W, Cekirge S, Fiorella D, Hanel RA, Jabbour P, Lopes D, Lylyk P, McDougall CG, Siddiqui A. Safety and efficacy of the pipeline embolization device for treatment of intracranial aneurysms: a pooled analysis of 3 large studies. J Neurosurg. 2017;127(4):775–80. https://doi.org/10.3171/2016.8.JNS16467.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Marosfoi M, Clarencon F, Langan ET, King RM, Brooks OW, Tamura T, Wainwright JM, Gounis MJ, Vedantham S, Puri AS. Acute thrombus formation on phosphorilcholine surface modified flow diverters. J Neurointerv Surg. 2018;10(4):406–11. https://doi.org/10.1136/neurintsurg-2017-013175.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Martínez-Galdámez M, Lamin SM, Lagios KG, Liebig T, Ciceri EF, Chapot R, Stockx L, Chavda S, Kabbasch C, Farago G, Nordmeyer H, Boulanger T, Piano M, Boccardi EP. Periprocedural outcomes and early safety with the use of the pipeline flex embolization device with shield technology for unruptured intracranial aneurysms: preliminary results from a prospective clinical study. J Neurointerv Surg. 2017;9(8):772–6. https://doi.org/10.1136/neurintsurg-2016-012896.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Matsuda Y, Jang DK, Chung J, Wainwright JM, Lopes D. Preliminary outcomes of single antiplatelet therapy for surface-modified flow diverters in an animal model: analysis of neointimal development and thrombus formation using OCT. J Neurointerv Surg. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1136/neurintsurg-2018-013935. pii: neurintsurg-2018-013935.
- Orlov K, Kislitsin D, Strelnikov N, Berestov V, Gorbatykh A, Shayakhmetov T, Seleznev P, Tasenko A. Experience using pipeline embolization device with shield technology in a patient lacking a full postoperative dual antiplatelet therapy regimen. Interv Neuroradiol. 2018;24(3):270–3. https://doi.org/10.1177/1591019917753824.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Saber H, Kherallah RY, Hadied MO, Kazemlou S, Chamiraju P, Narayanan S. Antiplatelet therapy and the risk of ischemic and hemorrhagic complications associated with pipeline embolization of cerebral aneurysms: a systematic review and pooled analysis. J Neurointerv Surg. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1136/neurintsurg-2018-014082. pii: neurintsurg-2018-014082.
- Yeung TW, Lai V, Lau HY, Poon WL, Tan CB, Wong YC. Long-term outcome of endovascular reconstruction with the pipeline embolization device in the management of unruptured dissecting aneurysms of the intracranial vertebral artery. J Neurosurg. 2012;116(4):882–7. https://doi.org/10.3171/2011.12.JNS111514.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar