Diabetes Management in Older Adults
Diabetes mellitus refers to a group of metabolic disorders related to increased glucose in the blood and decreased or impaired insulin (a hormone made by the pancreas) production or utilization. There are three major types of diabetes that are chronic and require management: (1) prediabetes, (2) type 1 diabetes, and (3) type 2 diabetes.
Type 2 diabetes (T2DM), the most prevalent type, occurs when the body does not properly process insulin (either does not produce enough or cannot utilize the available insulin) (see “Diabetes Mellitus”). Symptoms of T2DM include extreme thirst, frequent urination, blurry vision, and fatigue. T2DM is commonly diagnosed using the hemoglobin (A1C) test. The A1C is a blood test used to determine the average blood glucose level over the past 3 months. A level of 5.7 or below is considered normal, and 5.8–6.4% is classified as prediabetes. A value of 6.5% or...
- American Diabetes Association (2019) Standards of medical care in diabetes. J Clin Appl Res Educ 42. Retrieved March 2, 2019, from http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/diacare/suppl/2018/12/17/42.Supplement_1.DC1/DC_42_S1_Combined_FINAL.pdf
- Centers for Disease Prevention and Control (2017) National diabetes statistics report, 2017. Retrieved fromGoogle Scholar
- Chatterjee S, Peters SAE, Woodward M, Mejia Arango S, Batty GD, Beckett N... Huxley RR (2015) Type 2 Diabetes as a Risk Factor for Dementia in Women Compared With Men: A Pooled Analysis of 2.3 Million People Comprising More Than 100,000 Cases of Dementia. Diabetes Care:dc151588Google Scholar
- Knol MJ, Twisk JWR, Beekman ATF, Heine RJ, Snoek FJ, Pouwer F (2006) Depression as a risk factor for the onset of type 2 diabetes mellitus. A meta-analysis. Diabetologia 49(5):837–845Google Scholar
- Krein SL, Heisler M, Piette JD, Makki F, Kerr EA (2005) The effect of chronic pain on diabetes patients’ self-management. Diabetes Care 28(1):65+. Retrieved from http://link.galegroup.com.libproxy.uccs.edu/apps/doc/A127712577/ITOF?u=colosprings&sid=ITOF&xid=01583477CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Leontis LM, Hess-Fischl A (2018, September 27) Type 2 diabetes complications. Retrieved from https://www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/type-2-diabetes/type-2-diabetes-complications
- National Council on Aging (2016) Elder security for seniors facts [Fact sheet]. Retrieved from https://www.ncoa.org/wp-content/uploads/NCOA-Economic-Security.pdf
- Powers MA, Bardsley J, Cypress M, Duker P, Funnell MM, Fischl AH, … Vivian E (2017) Diabetes self-management education and support in type 2 diabetes: a joint position statement of the American Diabetes Association, the American Association of Diabetes Educators, and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Diabetes Educ 43(1):40–53. https://doi.org/10.1177/0145721716689694CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Renn BN (2012) Using behavioral activation to increase physical activity in women with comorbid diabetes and depression (Unpublished master’s thesis). University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, Colorado SpringsGoogle Scholar
- Renn BN, Obetz V, Feliciano L (2018) Comorbidity of depressive symptoms among primary care patients with diabetes in a federally qualified health center. J Health Psychol. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1177/1359105318755260
- Wells ME, Vaughn BV (2012) Poor sleep challenging the health of a Nation. Neurodiagnostic J 52(3):233–249Google Scholar