Alliance for Aging Research
The Alliance’s History, Mission, and Goals
The Alliance for Aging Research is the leading national nonprofit organization dedicated to accelerating the pace of scientific discoveries and their application to vastly improve the universal human experience of aging and health. The Alliance was founded in 1986 in Washington, DC, by Daniel Perry, who remained the President and CEO until 2014.
The Alliance was started with a small group of people who set out to “square the curve” of human aging. They saw the potential to strengthen human bodies and minds as we age, by advocating for path-breaking discoveries from science, and their speedy application to improve aging and healthy. The mission of this new organization was to change the face of aging as we know it through a commitment to speed the pace of science and its translation, to improve aging and health for this generation and all those to come.
The new organization was encouraged and inspired by the work and vision of three leaders in...
- Alliance for Aging Research (2016) The history of the alliance for aging research, part II. Retrieved on August 30, 2019 from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skT8RmWd3b0
- Alliance for Aging Research (2018) Our best shot: the importance of vaccines for older adults. Retrieved on September 4, 2019 from https://www.agingresearch.org/campaign/our-best-shot/
- Alliance for Aging Research (2019) New survey finds vaccine discussions are a low priority at the medicare annual wellness visit. Retrieved on September 5, 2019 from https://www.agingresearch.org/document/survey-vaccine-discussions-at-the-medicare-annual-wellness-visit/
- Baranauckas C (2002) Florence S. Mahoney, 103, health advocate. New York Times. Section B, p. 10. Retrieved on September 4, 2019 from https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2002-dec-21-me-mahoney21-story.html
- Columbia University Aging Center (2019) Legacy of Dr. Robert N. Butler. Retrieved on September 4, 2019 from https://aging.columbia.edu/about/robert-butler
- National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion (NCCDPHP) (2018) Alzheimer’s disease: promoting health and independence for an aging population at a glance Retrieved on August 30, 2019 from https://www.cdc.gov/chronicdisease/resources/publications/aag/alzheimers.htm
- Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) (2019) About us: research done differently. Retrieved on September 4, 2019 from https://www.pcori.org/about-us
- Peschin S (2019) With a deluge of Alzheimer’s patients coming, medicare must step up, pay for treatment. Retrieved on September 4, 2019 from https://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/op-ed/article234477797.html
- US Government Printing Office (2001) Alan Cranston: memorial tributes and addresses. Washington. S. Doc 107-2. Retrieved on September 4, 2019 from https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CDOC-107sdoc2/pdf/CDOC-107sdoc2.pdf