Public-Private Partnerships: Training and Coordination in Disasters
- 8 Downloads
A public-private partnership (P3) is an organizational arrangement that can vary widely across contexts, particularly in disaster. According to The National Council for Public-Private Partnerships (NCPPP), as well as the US Government Accountability Office (GAO), a public-private partnership can be defined as “a contractual arrangement … between public and private sector partners” (GAO 1999). This is a typical definition, but in disaster contexts, public-private partnerships are not always contractual. P3s can be thought of as cross-sectoral coalitions that serve particular disaster-related needs that are not met effectively by any single sector. Involved partners can include entities from the public, private, or the nonprofit sector. North America, Asia, the Pacific, and Africa have witnessed a resurgent interest in P3s of all varieties in the last decade. Interest in this type of organization has been mixed across Europe and South America.
Partnerships can be...
KeywordsPublic-private partnership Disaster management Disaster recovery Disaster response Private sector coordination
- Chandra, A., & Acosta, J. D. (2009). The role of nongovernmental organizations in long-term human recovery after disaster: Reflections from Louisiana four years after Hurricane Katrina. Rand Corporation.Google Scholar
- GAO. (1999). Public-private partnerships. Retrieved from https://www.gao.gov/special.pubs/Gg99071.pdf
- Martin, A., Williams, D., Southeast Disaster Recovery Partnership (SDRP). (2018). For the long Haul: Public-private partnerships for long-term disaster recovery. Retrieved from http://secoora.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Partnerships_for_Disaster_Recovery.pdf
- Smith, G. (2012). Planning for post-disaster recovery: A review of the United States disaster assistance framework. Washington, DC: Island Press.Google Scholar
- United Nations (UN). (2008). Hyogo framework for action – Disaster preparedness for effective response. Retrieved from United Nations website: https://www.unisdr.org/files/2909_Disasterpreparednessforeffectiveresponse.pdf
- Southeast Disaster Recovery Partnership (SDRP). (2018). For the long Haul: Public-private partnerships for long-term disaster recovery. Retrieved from http://secoora.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Partnerships_for_Disaster_Recovery.pdf