In 1984, the cerebellum-specific hexadecapeptide “cerebellin” was identified and shown to be concentrated in the synaptosomal compartment (Slemmon et al. 1984). Although “precerebellin” was originally identified as a precursor of cerebellin, the cerebellin peptide is not flanked by the classical dibasic amino acids observed in many neuropeptide precursors (Urade et al. 1991). In addition, precerebellin clearly belongs to the C1q family, whose members, such as C1q, adiponectin (Adipoq), and collagen X, are secreted and are involved in various intercellular functions (Yuzaki 2008). Indeed, full-length, uncleaved precerebellin is secreted from cerebellar granule cells (Bao et al. 2005; Iijima et al. 2007). Therefore, it is now evident that precerebellin is the actual signaling molecule itself, which should be referred to as Cbln1, although the cerebellin peptide may have additional functions.
Cbln1 is predominantly expressed in...
- Elegheert J, Kakegawa W, Clay JE, Shanks NF, Behiels E, Matsuda K, Kohda K, Miura E, Rossmann M, Mitakidis N, Motohashi J, Chang VT, Siebold C, Greger IH, Nakagawa T, Yuzaki M, Aricescu AR. Structural basis for integration of GluD receptors within synaptic organizer complexes. Science. 2016;353:295–9.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kakegawa W, Mitakidis N, Miura E, Abe M, Matsuda K, Takeo YH, Kohda K, Motohashi J, Takahashi A, Nagao S, Muramatsu S, Watanabe M, Sakimura K, Aricescu AR, Yuzaki M. Anterograde C1ql1 signaling is required in order to determine and maintain a single-winner climbing fiber in the mouse cerebellum. Neuron. 2015;85:316–29.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Konno K, Matsuda K, Nakamoto C, Uchigashima M, Miyazaki T, Yamasaki M, Sakimura K, Yuzaki M, Watanabe M. Enriched expression of GluD1 in higher brain regions and its involvement in parallel fiber-interneuron synapse formation in the cerebellum. J Neurosci. 2014;34:7412–24.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Matsuda K, Budisantoso T, Mitakidis N, Sugaya Y, Miura E, Kakegawa W, Yamasaki M, Konno K, Uchigashima M, Abe M, Watanabe I, Kano M, Watanabe M, Sakimura K, Aricescu AR, Yuzaki M. Transsynaptic modulation of kainate receptor functions by C1q-like Proteins. Neuron. 2016;90:752–67.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yasumura M, Yoshida T, Lee SJ, Uemura T, Joo JY, Mishina M. Glutamate receptor delta1 induces preferentially inhibitory presynaptic differentiation of cortical neurons by interacting with neurexins through cerebellin precursor protein subtypes. J Neurochem. 2012;121:705–16.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar