CD91, also known as the low density lipoprotein receptor-related protein 1 (LRP1), is a receptor on the plasma membrane involved in receptor-mediated endocytosis and in various signaling events. CD91 is a member of a gene family found in diverse species, including C. elegans, Drosophila, Xenopus, and mammals (Gaultier et al. 2008). Seven structurally closely related cell surface receptors constitute the core of the low density lipoprotein (LDL) receptor gene family. They include the LDL receptor, the LDL receptor-related protein (CD91), LRP1b, megalin, very low density lipoprotein (VLDL) receptor, apolipoprotein E receptor 2 (apo-ER2), and multiple epidermal growth factor-like domains containing protein 7 (MEGF7) (Herz and Strickland 2001). This review focuses on CD91 and its role as a signaling receptor for several...
- Herz J, Hamann U, Rogne S, Myklebost O, Gausepohl H, Stanley KK. Surface location and high affinity for calcium of a 500 kDa liver membrane protein closely related to the LDL-receptor suggest a physiolocical role as lipoprotein receptor. EMBO J. 1988;7:4119–27.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Loukinova E, Ranganathan S, Kuznetsov S, Gorlatova N, Migliorini MM, Loukinov D, Ulery PG, Mikhailenko I, Lawrence DA, Strickland DK. Platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF)-induced tyrosine phosphorylation of the low density lipoprotein receptor-related protein (LRP) Evidence for integrated co-receptor function betwenn LRP and the PDGF. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:15499–506.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Roebroek AJ, Reekmans S, Lauwers A, Feyaerts N, Smeijers L, Hartmann D. Mutant Lrp1 knock-in mice generated by recombinase-mediated cassette exchange reveal differential importance of the NPXY motifs in the intracellular domain of LRP1 for normal fetal development. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:605–16.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Terrand J, Bruban V, Zhou L, Gong W, El Asmar Z, May P, Zurhove K, Haffner P, Philippe C, Woldt E, Matz RL, Gracia C, Metzger D, Auwerx J, Herz J, Boucher P. LRP1 controls intracellular cholesterol storage and fatty acid synthesis through modulation of Wnt signaling. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:381–8.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zheng G, Bachinsky DR, Stamenkovic I, Strickland DK, Brown D, Andres G, McCluskey RT. Organ distribution in rats of two members of the low-density lipoprotein receptor gene family, gp330 and LRP/alpa 2MR, and the receptor-associated protein (RAP). J Histochem Cytochem. 1994;42:531–42.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zurhove K, Nakajima C, Herz J, Bock HH, May P. Gamma-secretase limits the inflammatory response through the processing of LRP1. Sci Signal. 2008;25:1:ra15.Google Scholar