Forkhead Box Protein O
Forkhead box (Fox) proteins are a family of transcription factors that regulate the transcription of genes regulating diverse cellular processes, including cell survival, apoptosis, oxidative stress response and redox signaling, proliferation, differentiation, metabolism, and life span. Fox proteins are classified into subclasses FoxA–FoxS, and subgroup O (FoxO) proteins are a subgroup of the Fox family, which is characterized by a conserved DNA-binding domain (the “Forkhead box,” or Fox). This domain could recognize the specific DNA sequence localized in the promoter and thus regulate the transcription/expression of these genes. Forkhead gene (fkh) was cloned for the first time from the fly Drosophila melanogasterand has been identified to play important roles during the developing process of the anterior and posterior gut of the embryo. Genetic...
This research was financially supported by the Guangdong Provincial Project of Science and Technology (2011B050200005), the National Natural Science Foundation of China (31371088), SRG2015-00004-FHS and MYRG2016-00052-FHS from University of Macau, and the Science and Technology Development Fund (FDCT) of Macao (FDCT 021/2015/A1).
- Dijkers PF, Birkenkamp KU, Lam EW, Thomas NS, Lammers JW, Koenderman L, et al. FKHR-L1 can act as a critical effector of cell death induced by cytokine withdrawal: protein kinase B-enhanced cell survival through maintenance of mitochondrial integrity. J Cell Biol. 2002;156(3):531–42.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fluteau A, Ince PG, Minett T, Matthews FE, Brayne C, Garwood CJ, et al. The nuclear retention of transcription factor FOXO3a correlates with a DNA damage response and increased glutamine synthetase expression by astrocytes suggesting a neuroprotective role in the ageing brain. Neurosci Lett. 2015;609:11–7.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kim JJ, Li P, Huntley J, Chang JP, Arden KC, Olefsky JM. FoxO1 haploinsufficiency protects against high-fat diet-induced insulin resistance with enhanced peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma activation in adipose tissue. Diabetes. 2009;58(6):1275–82.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Maiese K. FoxO proteins in the nervous system. Anal Cell Pathol (Amst). 2015;2015:569392.Google Scholar
- Su SH, Wang YQ, Wu YF, Wang DP, Lin Q, Hai J. Cannabinoid receptor agonist WIN55,212-2 and fatty acid amide hydrolase inhibitor URB597 may protect against cognitive impairment in rats of chronic cerebral hypoperfusion via PI3K/AKT signaling. Behav Brain Res. 2016;313:334–44.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wilk A, Urbanska K, Yang S, Wang JY, Amini S, Del Valle L, et al. Insulin-like growth factor-I-forkhead box O transcription factor 3a counteracts high glucose/tumor necrosis factor-alpha-mediated neuronal damage: implications for human immunodeficiency virus encephalitis. J Neurosci Res. 2011;89(2):183–98.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yang M, Pi H, Li M, Xu S, Zhang L, Xie J, et al. Autophagy induction contributes to cadmium toxicity in mesenchymal stem cells via AMPK/FOXO3a/BECN1 signaling. Toxicol Sci. 2016;154(1):101–14.Google Scholar
- Zhang W, Konopleva M, Burks JK, Dywer KC, Schober WD, Yang JY, et al. Blockade of mitogen-activated protein kinase/extracellular signal-regulated kinase kinase and murine double minute synergistically induces Apoptosis in acute myeloid leukemia via BH3-only proteins Puma and Bim. Cancer Res. 2010;70(6):2424–34.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zheng WH, Kar S, Quirion R. Insulin-like growth factor-1-induced phosphorylation of transcription factor FKHRL1 is mediated by phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/Akt kinase and role of this pathway in insulin-like growth factor-1-induced survival of cultured hippocampal neurons. Mol Pharmacol. 2002b;62(2):225–33.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar