Acetylcholine (Nicotinic) Receptor
The pharmacological effects of nicotine have long been known, with nicotine first isolated from tobacco plants by Posselt and Reimann in 1828 (Albuquerque et al. 2009). The attempts to isolate the physiologic effect of nicotinic acetylcholine receptors (nAChRs) using the Torpedoorganism have been traced back as far as 1885 (Paul Ehrlich) and 1857 (Claude Bernard). It was first proposed to be a protein in 1955 by David Nachmansohn and later biochemically characterized by Changeux, Kasai, and Lee in 1970. In 1983 it became the first ligand-gated ion channel for which the DNA and protein were further defined by using molecular genetics. (For more information on the history of the discovery of nAChRs...
- Chandler DJ, Waterhouse BD, Gao W-J. New perspectives on catecholaminergic regulation of executive circuits: evidence for independent modulation of prefrontal functions by midbrain dopaminergic and noradrenergic neurons. Front Neural Circuits. 2014;8:53. https://doi.org/10.3389/fncir.2014.00053.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Dani JA, Bertrand D. Nicotinic acetylcholine receptors and nicotinic cholinergic mechanisms of the central nervous system. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol. 2007;47:699–729. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.pharmtox.47.120505.105214.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Hopur52009. Nicotinic_receptors.Png. Accessed on 27 July 2016, cited 27 July 2015. Available from: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f1/Nicotinic_receptors.png
- Martindale R, Lester RAJ. On the discovery of the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor channel. In: Lester AJR, editor. Nicotinic receptors. New York: Springer; 2014. p. 1–16.Google Scholar
- Nakayama H, Shimoke K, Isosaki M, Satoh H, Yoshizumi M, Ikeuchi T. Subtypes of neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptors involved in nicotine-induced phosphorylation of extracellular signal-regulated protein kinase in PC12h cells. Neurosci Lett. 2006;392:101–4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neulet.2005.09.003.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Servier. Receptors and channels. Accessed on 27 July 2016, cited 27 July 2016. Available from: http://www.servier.com/slidekit/?item=5