ATP-Binding Cassette Subfamily A Member 2
ATP-binding cassette (ABC) transporters are integral membrane proteins that cross the intracellular (organelles) and cytoplasmic membranes and are involved directly in the transport of substrates against a concentration gradient using ATP hydrolysis. The superfamily of human ABC transporters comprises 49 members and has a wide variety of functions. This family is divided into seven subfamilies from A to G, with the ABC “A” subfamily containing 13 members, such as ABCA1, ABCA2, and ABCA7, which transport sterols. The second member of the ABCA subfamily is named ABCA2. It is expressed at high levels in the white matter of the brain (Halene et al. 2016), as well as oligodendrocytes, schwann cells, excitatory and inhibitory neurons (Mack et al. 2012), brain capillary endothelial cells (Wolf et al. 2012), and glial cells...
- Barbet R, Peiffer I, Hutchins JR, Hatzfeld A, Garrido E, Hatzfeld JA. Expression of the 49 human ATP binding cassette (ABC) genes in pluripotent embryonic stem cells and in early-and late-stage multipotent mesenchymal stem cells: Possible role of ABC plasma membrane transporters in maintaining human stem cell pluripotency. Cell Cycle. 2012;11:1611–20.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Calpe-Berdiel L, Zhao Y, de Graauw M, Ye D, van Santbrink PJ, Mommaas AM, et al. Macrophage ABCA2 deletion modulates intracellular cholesterol deposition, affects macrophage apoptosis, and decreases early atherosclerosis in LDL receptor knockout mice. Atherosclerosis. 2012;223:332–41.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Davis Jr W, Chen ZJ, Ile KE, Tew KD. Reciprocal regulation of expression of the human adenosine 5′-triphosphate binding cassette, sub-family A, transporter 2 (ABCA2) promoter by the early growth response-1 (EGR-1) and Sp-family transcription factors. Nucleic Acids Res. 2003;31:1097–107.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rahgozar S, Moafi A, Abedi M, Entezar-E-Ghaem M, Moshtaghian J, Ghaedi K, Esmaeili A, Montazeri F. mRNA expression profile of multidrug-resistant genes in acute lymphoblastic leukemia of children, a prognostic value for ABCA3 and ABCA2. 2014;15:35–41.Google Scholar
- Takenaka S, Itoh T, Fujiwara R. Expression pattern of human ATP-binding cassette transporters in skin. Pharmacol Res Perspect. 2013;1Google Scholar