The Investigation and Prosecution of Traffickers: Challenges and Opportunities
The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime Toolkit to combat human trafficking and themes from the UN regarding approaches to perpetrators
International initiatives that have developed including those within the European Union, Canada, and the United States
A case study of investigation and prosecution in the United Kingdom
These sections are drawn together by identifying learning through the development of best practice along with the challenges that exist in the investigation and prosecution of human trafficking offences.
KeywordsHuman trafficking Prosecution Modern slavery Investigation
- Allain J, Bales K (2012) Slavery and Its Definition. Global Dialogue 14 2. Available https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2123155. Accessed 11 May 2018.
- Anti-Trafficking Monitoring Group (2013) In the Dock: Examining to UK’s Criminal Justice Response to Trafficking. Anti-Trafficking Monitoring Group. Available https://www.antislavery.org/in-the-dock-report/ Accessed 1 Oct 2018.
- Broad R, Turnbull N (2018) From human trafficking to modern slavery: The development of anti-slavery legislation in the UK. European Journal on Criminal Policy and Research. doi.org/ https://doi.org/10.1007/s10610-018-9375-4
- Bruckert C, Parent C (2002) Trafficking in human beings and organized crime: A literature review. Royal Canadian Mounted Police, Research and Evaluation Branch. Available www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca. Accessed 17 May 2018.
- Brunovskis A, Skilbrei M L (2016) Two birds with one stone? Implications of conditional assistance in victim protection and prosecution of traffickers. Anti-Trafficking Review 6: 13–30.Google Scholar
- Centre for Social Justice (CSJ) (2013) It Happens Here: Equipping the United Kingdom to fight modern slavery, a policy report by the Slavery Working Group The Centre for Social Justice: London.Google Scholar
- Department of State (2018) Trafficking in Persons Report 2018. Department of State: United States of America. Available https://www.state.gov/documents/organization/282800.pdf. Accessed 1 Oct 2018.
- Drew S (2009) Human trafficking – human rights. London: Legal Action Group.Google Scholar
- European Commission (2005) Fighting trafficking in human beings – an integrated approach and proposals for an action plan. Available https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/en/TXT/?uri=CELEX:52005DC0514. Accessed 1 Oct 2018.
- European Commission (2012) The EU strategy towards the eradication of trafficking in human beings. Available https://ec.europa.eu/anti-trafficking/sites/antitrafficking/files/eu_strategy_towards_the_eradication_of_trafficking_in_human_beings_2012-2016_1.pdf. Access 1 Oct 2018.
- European Commission (2016) Report from the Commission to the European Parliament and the Council on the progress made in the fight against trafficking in human beings. Available https://ec.europa.eu/anti-trafficking/eu-policy/first-report-progress-made-fight-against-trafficking-human-beings-2016_en. Accessed 1 Oct 2018.
- Farrell A, DeLateur M, Owens C, Fahy S (2016) The prosecution of state-level human trafficking cases in the United States. Anti-Trafficking Review 6: 48–70.Google Scholar
- Gadd D, Broad R, Craven J, Lightowlers C, Bellotti E (2017) Mapping the contours of modern slavery in Greater Manchester. Available https://www.research.manchester.ac.uk/portal/files/60221645/Gadd_report.pdf. Accessed 1 Jun 2018.
- Government of Canada (2017a) Strengthening Canada’s criminal law response to human trafficking. Department of Justice, Government of Canada. Available https://www.canada.ca/en/department-justice/news/2017/02/government_of_canadaintroduceslegislationtostrengthenhumantraffi.html. last accessed 15/05/18.
- Government of Canada (2017b) Horizontal evaluation of the national action plan to combat human trafficking. Department of Justice, Government of Canada. Available https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/rsrcs/pblctns/vltn-nap-ht/index-en.aspx#a1. Accessed 15 May 2018.
- Government of Canada (2012) National action plan to combat human trafficking. Department of Justice, Government of Canada. Available https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/rsrcs/pblctns/ntnl-ctn-pln-cmbt/ntnl-ctn-pln-cmbt-eng.pdf. Accessed 15 May 2018.
- Group of Experts on Action against Trafficking in Human Beings (GRETA) (2014) Report concerning the implementation of the Council of Europe Convention on Action against Trafficking in Human Beings by the Netherlands. GRETA. Available https://rm.coe.int/1680632199 Accessed 15 May 2018.
- GRETA (2012) Report concerning the implementation of the Council of Europe Convention on Action against Trafficking in Human Beings by the UK. GRETA. Available http://ec.europa.eu/anti-trafficking/publications/greta-report-united-kingdom-0_en Accessed 15 May 2018.
- Hastie B, Yule A (2014) Milestone or missed opportunity? A critical analysis of the impact of Domotor on the future of human trafficking cases in Canada. Appeal 19: 83–93.Google Scholar
- HM Government (2015) Modern Slavery Strategy. HM Government, London. Available https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/modern-slavery-strategy. Accessed 1 Oct 2018.
- Home Office (2017) An evaluation of the National Referral Mechanism pilot. Available https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/653703/evaluation-national-referral-mechanism-pilot-horr94.pdf. Accessed 01/10/18.
- Keatinge T (2017) Following the financial footprints: New approaches to disrupting human trafficking and modern slavery. The European Review of Organized Crime 4(2): 128–146.Google Scholar
- Malo S (2018) In a first for Canada, trafficking victims get free legal help. Reuters News. Available http://news.trust.org/item/20180511174605-1u9fn/. Accessed 15 May 2018.
- Millar H, O’Doherty T, Roots T (2017) A formidable task: Reflections on obtaining legal empirical evidence on human trafficking in Canada. Anti-Trafficking Review 8: 34–49.Google Scholar
- National Audit Office (2017) Reducing modern slavery. Available https://www.nao.org.uk/report/reducing-modern-slavery/ Accessed 15 May 2018.
- Obokata T (2015) Human trafficking. In: Boister N, Currie R (eds) Routledge Handbook of Transnational Criminal Law. Routledge, London and New York.Google Scholar
- Open Minds Foundation (2016) The UK coercive control law and victimless prosecution. Open Minds Foundation. Available https://www.openmindsfoundation.org/the-uk-coercive-control-law-and-victimless-prosecution-a-step-forward/. Accessed 01/01/18.
- Oxman-Martinez J, Lacroix M, Hanley J (2005a) Victims of trafficking in persons: Perspectives from the Canadian community sector. Department of Justice: Canada.Google Scholar
- Press Association (2018) Home Office under fire over ‘muddled strategy’ on slavery that fails victims. The Guardian. Available https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2018/may/23/home-office-muddled-strategy-modern-slavery-kevin-hyland. Accessed 6 Jun 2018.
- Reiley A (2006) Trafficking in human beings: A comparative account of legal provisions for combating trafficking in Belgium, Italy, The Netherlands, Sweden and The United States. In: Van Den Anker C, Doomernik J (eds) Trafficking and Women’s Rights. Palgrave, Basingstoke, p 89–117.Google Scholar
- Rijken C, Koster D (2008) A human rights based approach to trafficking in human beings in theory and practice. doi.org/ https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.1135108.
- Srikantiah J (2007) Perfect Victims and Real Survivors: The iconic victim in domestic human trafficking law. Boston University Law Review 87: 157–211.Google Scholar
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) (2008) (2nd edition) UNODC Toolkit to combat trafficking in persons. Available https://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/human-trafficking/2008/electronic-toolkit/electronic-toolkit-to-combat-trafficking-in-persons%2D%2D-index.html. Accessed 1 October 2018.
- UNODC (2009) Model law against trafficking in persons. Available https://www.unodc.org/documents/human-trafficking/UNODC_Model_Law_on_Trafficking_in_Persons.pdf. Accessed 17 May 2018.
- United States Department of Justice (2018) Office for Victims of Crime and US Department of Justice Human Trafficking Task Force E-guide. Available https://www.ovcttac.gov/taskforceguide/eguide/ Accessed 9 Oct 2018.
- United States Department of Justice (2017) National strategy to combat human trafficking. Available https://www.justice.gov/humantrafficking/page/file/922791/download Accessed 1 Jun 2018.