Edward Said and New York
- 72 Downloads
Acculturation in New York; Arrival in New York; Embracing immigrants; Living in New York; Marginality of the critic in New York; New York as a city of political confrontations; New York as a paradoxical city; New York as a restless city; New York as a site for struggle; New York as an exile; New York as sensus communis; New York as the city that shaped Said’s critical writing; Palestinian cities; The city as personal experience; Theorizing America through New York; Theorising the city
New York is not only the city which effectively shaped Edward Said’s political and critical writings, it is the city through which he theorized America at large.
Theorizing the city seems to have been an inevitable practice to someone with a life experience like that of Edward Said. Seeing himself as permanently exiled or “out of place” (Said, Out of Place3), the city to him becomes subject for endless contemplation and redefinitions. Born in the Jerusalem of the...
- Baudrillard, Jean 1988. America. Trans. C. Turner. London: Verso.Google Scholar
- Darwish, Mahmoud. The earth is closing on us. PoemHunter. Retrieved 2 July 2017 from https://www.poemhunter.com/best-poems/mahmoud-darwish/the-earth-is-closing-on-us.
- Hussein, Abdirahman A. 2002. Edward said: Criticism and society. London: Verso.Google Scholar
- Khatib, Lina. 2006. Filming the modern Middle East: Politics in the cinemas of Hollywood and the Arab world. London: I. B. Tauris.Google Scholar
- Marrouchi, Mustapha (2004). Edward said at the limits. New York: State University of New York Press.Google Scholar
- Said, Edward. 1982b. Writers talk – Ideas of our time: Edward said with Salman Rushdie. Northbrook: The Roland Collection of Films on Art.Google Scholar
- Said, Edward. 1994. Culture and imperialism. New York: Vintage Books.Google Scholar
- Said, Edward. 1996. Representations of the intellectual: The 1993 Reith lectures. New York: Vintage Books.Google Scholar
- Said, Edward. 1999. After the last sky: Palestinian lives. Photographs by Jean Mohr. New York: Columbia University Press.Google Scholar
- Said, Edward. 2000. Out of place: A memoir. New York: Vintage.Google Scholar
- Said, Edward. 2002. In Power, politics, and culture: Interviews with Edward W. Said, ed. Gauri Viswanathan. New York: Vintage Books.Google Scholar
- Said, Edward. 2003a. The other America. Al-Ahram Weekly Online (630): 20–26. Retrieved 2 Oct 2005, from http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2003/630/focus.htm.
- Said, Edward. 2003b. Reflections on exile and other essays. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar