Antipsychotics, second generation; bipolar agents
Proposed Mechanism(s) of Action
The efficacy of cariprazine could be mediated through a combination of partial agonist activity at central dopamine D2 and serotonin 5-HT1A receptors and antagonistic activity at serotonin 5-HT2A receptors.
For the treatment of schizophrenia and for the acute treatment of manic or mixed episodes associated with bipolar I disorder.
No common off-label use
Increased risk of death in elderly people with dementia-related psychosis, extrapyramidal symptoms, Parkinsonism, akathisia.
Headache, insomnia, nausea, constipation, somnolence.
References and Readings
- Physicians’ desk reference (71st ed.) (2017). Montvale: Thomson PDR.Google Scholar
- Drug Molecule Images. http://www.worldofmolecules.com/drugs/
- Free Drug Online and PDA Software. www.epocrates.com
- Free Drug Online and PDA Software. www.medscapepsychiatry.com
- Gene-Based Estimate of Drug interactions. http://mhc.daytondcs.com:8080/cgibin/ddiD4?ver=4&task=getDrugList
- Pill Identification. http://www.drugs.com/pill_identification.html