VA TBI Model System Program
VA Polytrauma Rehabilitation Center TBI Model Systems; VA PRC TBIMS; VA PRC Traumatic Brain Injury Model Systems; VA TBIMS; VA Traumatic Brain Injury Model Systems
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Traumatic Brain Injury Model System (TBIMS) is a congressionally mandated longitudinal multicenter study which examines the course of recovery and outcomes following inpatient rehabilitation for TBI within the five VA Polytrauma Rehabilitation Centers located in Minneapolis, MN; Palo Alto, CA; Richmond, VA; San Antonio, TX; and Tampa, FL (NDAA 2007 and Lamberty et al. 2014). This lifetime study conducts follow-up at years 1, 2, 5, 10, 15, and every subsequent 5 years post-injury (Lamberty et al. 2014; Dijkers et al. 2010). The VA TBIMS is an inter-agency collaboration between the Departments of Veterans Affairs, Defense (Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center [DVBIC]), and Health and Human Services (National Institute on Disability, Independent Living and...
References and Readings
- Lamberty, G. J., Nakase-Richardson, R., Farrell-Carnahan, L., McGarity, S., Bidelspach, D., Harrison-Felix, C., & Cifu, D. X. (2014). Development of a traumatic brain injury model system within the Department of Veterans Affairs polytrauma system of care. Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation, 29(3), E1–E7.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nakase-Richardson, R., & Stevens, L. F. (2017). Informing the needs of veterans and service members with TBI and their families: Leveraging the VA TBI model system program of research. Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation, 32, 215–218. https://doi.org/10.1097/HTR.0000000000000336.PMID 28678116.Google Scholar
- Nakase-Richardson, R., Stevens, L. F., Tang, X., Lamberty, G., Sherer, M., Walker, W. C., Pugh, M. J., Eapen, B. C., Finn, J. A., Saylors, M., Dillahunt-Aspillaga, C., Adams, R. S., & Garafano, J. (2017). Comparison of the VA and NIDILRR TBI model system cohorts. Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation, 32, 221–233. https://doi.org/10.1097/HTR.0000000000000334. PMID 28678118.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Publication Database of the TBI Model System (2017) National Dataset on the Model Systems Knowledge Translation Center Website. TBI model systems publications. http://www.msktc.org/publications?sys=T. Accessed April 14, 2017.
- The John Warner National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) for Fiscal Year (2007) (Public Law 109–364).Google Scholar