Headache and neck pain are the most common physical complaints following concussion (mild brain injury) and are experienced early after injury by up to 70% or more of persons with these types of injuries. Post-traumatic headache (PTHA) also occurs after more severe brain injury; however, for some reason as yet unidentified, it tends to be a less commonly reported phenomenon in this group of patients when compared with the incidence following mild traumatic brain injury. Often, injured persons will seek medical care following traumatic injuries only to be diagnosed with “post-traumatic headache.” Such a non-specific diagnosis without elaboration as to pain generator etiologies leaves treaters and others (including patients and their families) with no real information regarding the true cause of the headache disorder, its prognosis, or the appropriate treatment regimen that should be administered to modulate or ideally cure the...
References and Readings
- Horn, L. J., Siebert, B., Patel, N., & Zasler, N. D. (2013). Post-traumatic headache. In N. D. Zasler, D. I. Katz, & R. Zafonte (Eds.), Brain injury medicine (2nd ed., pp. 932–953). New York: Demos.Google Scholar
- Martelli, M. F., & Zasler, N. D. (2013). Post-traumatic pain disorders: Psychological assessment and management. In N. Zasler, D. Katz, & R. Zafonte (Eds.), Brain injury medicine: Principles and practice (2nd ed., pp. 974–989). New York: Demos Publishers.Google Scholar
- Zasler, N.D. (2016), Post-traumatic pain. In F. Zollman (Ed.), Management of traumatic brain injury (2nd ed.). New York: Demos Medical. In press.Google Scholar
- Zasler, N. D., Martelli, M. F., & Nicholson, K. (2013). Post-traumatic pain disorders: Medical assessment and management. In N. Zasler, D. Katz, & R. Zafonte (Eds.), Brain injury medicine: Principles and practice (2nd ed., pp. 954–973). New York: Demos Publishers.Google Scholar
- Zasler, N. D., Martelli, M., & Jordan, B. (2016). Post-concussive headache. In J. Victoroff & E. Bigler (Eds.), Textbook of concussion and traumatic encephalopathy. New York: Cambridge University Press. In press.Google Scholar