Brief Psychiatric Rating Scale
The Brief Psychiatric Rating Scale (BPRS) (Overall and Gorham 1962, 1988) consists of a series of 18 items assessing the following psychiatric symptoms: somatic concern, anxiety, emotional withdrawal, conceptual disorganization, guilt feelings, tension, mannerisms and posturing, grandiosity, depressive mood, hostility, suspiciousness, hallucinatory behavior, motor retardation, uncooperativeness, unusual thought content, blunted affect, excitement, and disorientation. The instrument takes approximately 5–10 min to rate, following an interview with the patient. The clinician rates each item on a scale ranging from 1 (not present) to 7 (extremely severe). The inventory is geared toward severe psychopathology.
The BPRS continues to be a very commonly used instrument. Between 2013 and 2015, there were well over 300 articles cited in MedLine which employed the BPRS in clinical and experimental studies. Expanded versions of the BPRS have been...
References and Readings
- Diaz, A. P., Schwarzbold, M. L., Thais, M. E., Hohl, A., Bertotti, M. M., Schmoeller, R., Nunes, J. C., Prediger, R., Linhares, M. N., Guarnieri, R., & Walz, R. (2012). Psychiatric Disorders and Health-Related Quality of Life after Severe Traumatic Brain Injury: A Prospective Study. Journal of Neurotrauma, 29(6):1029–1037PubMedCrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Lachar, D., Bailley, S. E., Rhoades, H. M., Espandas, A., Aponte, M., Cowan, K. A., Gummattira, P., Kopecky, C. R., & Wassef, A. (2001). New subscales for an anchored version of the Brief Psychiatric Rating Scale: Construction, reliability and validity in acute psychiatric admissions. Psychological Assessment, 13, 384–395.PubMedCrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Overall, J. E., & Gorham, D. R. (1962). The brief psychiatric rating scale. Psychological Reports, 10, 790–812.Google Scholar
- Overall, J. E., & Gorham, D. R. (1988). The Brief Psychiatric Rating Scale (BPRS): Recent developments in ascertainment and scaling. Psychopharmacology Bulletin, 24, 97–99.Google Scholar
- Picardi, A., Battisti, F., de Girolamo, G., Morosini, P., Norcio, B., Bracco, R., & Biondi, M. (2008). Symptom structure of acute mania: A factor study of the 24-item Brief Psychiatric Rating Scale in a national sample of patients hospitalized for a manic episode. Journal of Affective Disorders, 108, 183–189.PubMedCrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar