Immediate Post-Concussion Assessment and Cognitive Testing
Immediate Post-Concussion Assessment and Cognitive Testing (ImPACT) is a computerized battery of tests designed to evaluate sports-related concussions (Iverson et al. 2003b). It is the most widely used neurocognitive assessment in concussion management (Alsalaheen et al. 2015). In addition to collecting basic demographic and descriptive data, the ImPACT measures various aspects of neurocognitive functioning via administration of six test modules (Table 1; ImPACTtest.com; Iverson et al. 2003b) thereby culminating in the generation of four composite scores in the areas of verbal memory, visual memory, visual-motor processing speed, and reaction time (Alsalaheen et al. 2015). The Post-Concussion Symptom Scale (PCSS; Lovell and Collins 1998), a 22-item symptom checklist used to track concussion symptoms, is also included in the ImPACT battery (Schatz et al. 2006). Additionally, a validity index is included to detect invalid baseline assessments (ImPACT...
References and Readings
- Alsalaheen, B., Stockdale, K., Pechumer, D., & Broglio, S. (2015). Measurement error in the Immediate Postconcussion Assessment and Cognitive Testing (ImPACT): Systematic review. Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation, 19 Aug 2015. [Epub ahead of print].Google Scholar
- ImPACTtest.com. (2009). ImPACT background.www.impacttest.com/impactbackground.php. Retrieved 10 Mar 2009.
- ImPACT Applications, Inc. (2011). Immediate Post-Concussion Assessment Testing (ImPACT) Test: Technical Manual, Online ImPACT 2007–2012.Google Scholar
- Iverson, G. L., Franzen, M. D., Lovell, M. R., & Collins, M. W. (2003a). Construct validity of ImPACT in athletes with concussions. Abstract presented at National Academy of Neuropsychologist’s Annual Meeting, Dallas, TX.Google Scholar
- Iverson, G. L., Lovell, M. R., & Collins, M. W. (2003b). Immediate post-concussion assessment and cognitive testing (ImPACT): Normative Data version 2 only. www.impacttest.com. Retrieved 10 Mar 2009.
- Lovell, M. R. (2005). ImPACT 2005 (4.0): Clinical interpretation manual.www.impacttest.com. Retrieved 14 May 2009.
- Tsushima, M., Tsushima, W., Tsushima, V., Lim, N., Madrigal, E., Jackson, C., et al. (2013). Use of ImPACT to diagnose minimal hepatic encephalopathy: An accurate, practical, user-friendly internet-based neuropsychological test battery. Digestive Diseases and Sciences, 58(9), 2673–2681.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
© Springer International Publishing AG, part of Springer Nature 2018