Evacuation is a protective action where people move from a high-risk area to one offering greater safety. It can be recommended by officials or performed voluntarily by residents without an official warning.
Evacuation is an effective protective action when a community is threatened by wildfire. The threat, in this case, is flammable vegetation and structures that pose a risk to residents in the form of radiant heat and smoke. Wildfire evacuations are typically precautionary (or pre-impact), as they are conducted when a wildfire is proximal but prior to community impact. The main questions in evacuating a community are who should evacuate, when they should leave, and where they should go. The corresponding steps are to delimit an evacuation zone and transmit a warning message to residents that includes recommended departure times, routes, and destinations.
Evacuation planning in wildfire areas can be performed...
- Chandler M (2019) Sheltering in a wildfire a dicey strategy. Associated Press, April 25th. https://www.apnews.com/6f1d93e3000c466cbd8fc8defdd88118
- Cook R (2003) Show low, Arizona, inferno: evacuation lessons learned in the Rodeo–Chedeski fire. Natl Fire Protect Assoc J 97(2):10–14Google Scholar
- Cova TJ (2005) Public safety in the urban–wildland interface: should fire-prone communities have a maximum occupancy? Nat Hazards Rev 6(3):99–108. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1527-6988(2005)6:3(99)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Cova TJ, Johnson JP (2003) A network flow model for lane-based evacuation routing. Transp Res A: Policy Pract 37(7):579–604Google Scholar
- Cova TJ, Drews FA, Siebeneck LK, Musters A (2009) Protective actions in wildfires: evacuate or shelter-in-place? Nat Hazards Rev 10(4):151–162. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1527-6988(2009)10:4(151)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Dash N, Gladwin H (2007) Evacuation decision making and behavioral responses: individual and household. Nat Hazards Rev 8(3):69–77. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1527-6988(2007)8:3(69)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Li D, Cova TJ, Dennison PE (2015) A household-level approach to staging wildfire evacuation warnings using trigger modeling. Comput Environ Urban Syst 54:56–67. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compenvurbsys.2015.05.008CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lindell MK, Perry RW (2004) Communicating environmental risk in multiethnic communities. Sage, Thousand OaksGoogle Scholar
- McCaffrey S, Velez A-LK, Briefel JA (2013b) Difference in information needs for wildfire evacuees and non-evacuees. J Mass Emerg Disasters 31(1):4–24Google Scholar
- McLennan J, Elliot G, Wright L (2014) Bushfire survival preparations by householders in at-risk areas of South-Eastern Australia. Aust J Emerg Manag 29(2):11. Retrieved from https://ajem.infoservices.com.au/items/AJEM-29-02-05Google Scholar
- National Research Council (2013) Geotargeted alerts and warnings: report of a workshop on current knowledge and research gaps. The National Academies Press, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- Paveglio TB, Carroll MS, Jakes PJ (2008) Alternatives to evacuation—protecting public safety during wildland fire. J For 106(2):65–70Google Scholar
- Paveglio TB, Moseley C, Carroll MS, Williams DR, Davis EJ, Fischer AP (2015) Categorizing the social context of the wildland urban interface: adaptive capacity for wildfire and community “archetypes”. For Sci 61(2):298–310Google Scholar
- Sorensen JH (2000) Hazard warning systems: review of 20 years of progress. Nat Hazards Rev 1(2):119–125. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1527-6988(2000)1:2(119)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Stewart SI, Radeloff VC, Hammer RB, Hawbaker TJ (2007) Defining the wildland-urban interface. J For 105(4):201–207Google Scholar
- Tierney KJ, Lindell MK, Perry RW (eds) (2001) Facing the unexpected: disaster preparedness and response in the United States. John Henry Press, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- Wolshon B, Marchive E (2007) Emergency planning in the urban-wildland interface: subdivision-level analysis of wildfire evacuations. J Urban Plann Dev 133(1):73–81. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9488(2007)133:1(73)CrossRefGoogle Scholar