Coping-Oriented Couple Therapy
Coping-oriented couple therapy (COCT; Bodenmann 2004) is a treatment model that emphasizes the role of stress communication and mutual support in couples. COCT posits that experiences of chronic minor stressors (i.e., inconveniences occurring on a day-to-day basis that may irritate partners over time) often trigger unpleasant behaviors in partners, which can then give rise to relationship tension. Thus, the goal of COCT is to help partners better understand their individual and joint stress reactions and learn to cope with daily stressors more effectively, which can significantly improve their relationship functioning and overall well-being.
Prominent Associated Figures
COCT was derived from Dr. Guy Bodenmann’s seminal work on couples’ stress and coping. Specifically, the systemic-transactional model of dyadic coping, which posits that romantic partners can engage in joint coping efforts to mitigate the deleterious effects of stress on their relationship (Bodenmann 1995, 2005...
- Baucom, D. H., Epstein, N., LaTaillade, J. J., & Kirby, J. S. (2008). Cognitive behavioral couple therapy. In A. S. Gurman & N. S. Jacobson (Eds.), Clinical handbook of couple therapy (4th ed., pp. 31–72). New York: Guilford.Google Scholar
- Bodenmann, G. (1995). A systemic-transactional conceptualization of stress and coping in couples. Swiss Journal of Psychology, 54, 34–49.Google Scholar
- Bodenmann, G. (2004). Verhaltenstherapie mit Paaren [Cognitive behavioral therapy with couples: Coping-oriented approach]. Bern: Huber.Google Scholar
- Bodenmann, G. (2005). Dyadic Coping and its significance for marital functioning. In T. A. Revenson, K. Kayser, & G. Bodenmann (Eds.), Couples coping with stress: Emerging perspectives on Dyadic Coping (pp. 33–49). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association. https://doi.org/10.1037/11031-002.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bodenmann, G., Plancherel, B., Beach, S. R. H., Widmer, K., Gabriel, B., Meuwly, N., …, Schramm, E. (2008). Effects of coping-oriented couples therapy on depression: A randomized clinical trial. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 76(6), 944–954. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0013467.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kelley, H. H. (1979). Personal relationships: Their structure and processes. Hillsdale: Erlbaum.Google Scholar