Treatment Foster Care Oregon
TFCO was formerly known as Multidimensional Treatment Foster Care (MTFC)
The Treatment Foster Care Oregon (TFCO) model was established in 1983 in an effort to effectively treat youths who were at greatest risk for conduct problems and delinquency. TFCO was developed as an alternative to institutional, residential, and group care placements for children and youth with severe emotional and behavioral disorders. The TFCO model is founded in social learning theory and was specifically developed to interrupt the coercive processes indicative of antisocial behavior.
TFCO is a foster family-based treatment approach with the primary goal of creating a real-life treatment setting for youths to learn and practice effective life and family skills while simultaneously teaching their parents (or other long-term family resource) to provide effective parenting. Youth served in TFCO reside in the TFCO treatment home for an average of 9 months, during which they receive weekly...
- Eddy, M. J., Bridges Whaley, R., & Chamberlain, P. (2004). The prevention of violent behavior by chronic and serious male juvenile offenders: A 2-year follow-up of a randomized clinical trial. Journal of Family Psychology, 12(1), 2–8.Google Scholar
- Fisher, P., Kim, H., & Pears, K. (2009). Effects of multidimensional treatment foster care for preschoolers (MTFC-P) on reducing permanent placement failures among children with placement instability. Children and Youth Services Review, 31, 541. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.childyouth.2008.10.012. Published by Elsevier Ltd.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Leve, L. D., & Chamberlain, P. (2006). A randomized evaluation of multidimensional treatment foster care: Effects on school attendance and homework completion in juvenile justice girls. Research on Social Work Practice, X(X), 1–7.Google Scholar
- Poulton, R., Van Ryzin, M. J., Harold, G. T., Chamberlain, P., Fowler, D., Cannon, M., Arseneault, L., & Leve, L. D. (2014). Effects of multidimensional treatment foster care on psychotic symptoms in girls. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 53, 1279. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaac.2014.08.014.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Westermark, P., Hannsson, K., & Vinnerljung, B. (2008). Does MTFC reduce placement breakdown in foster care? International Journal of Child & Family Welfare, 11(4), 155–171.Google Scholar