- 24 Downloads
Ungulates are defined as animals with hooves. This simply implies that a portion of the terminal phalanx is encased in a sturdy hoof. Because many species of ungulates commonly live in open habitat types, they are often the most visible fauna on the landscape (Groves and Grubb 2011). As such, it may be surprising to some that there is a large gap in the research conducted on this fauna group, with generally little known about specific species (Groves and Grubb 2011), such as the elusive okapi.
Ungulates are found on every continent except Antarctica. They can be social or solitary, nomadic or territorial. While the Smithsonian Institution acknowledges 275 modern ungulates, Groves and Grubb (2011) recognizes 450 distinct ungulates through utilizing the Phylogenetic Species Concept as opposed to the more traditional Biological Species Concept. Even with the vast number of ungulate species, true ungulates are generally confined to two orders based on the number of toes they...
- Ezenwa, V. O., & Snider, M. H. (2016). Reciprocal relationships between behaviour and parasites suggest that negative feedback may drive flexibility in male reproductive behaviour. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 283(1831), 20160423. https://doi.org/10.1098/rspb.2016.0423.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Groves, C., & Grubb, P. (2011). Ungulate Taxonomy. Baltimore: The John Hopkins University Press.Google Scholar
- Hart, J. A., & Hart, T. B. (1989). Ranging and feeding behavior of okapi (Okapia johnstoni) in the Ituri forest of Zaire: Food limitation in a rain-forest herbivore. Symposium of the Zoological Society of London, 61, 31–50.Google Scholar
- IUCN SSC Antelope Specialist Group. (2016). Cephalophus silvicultor. The IUCN red list of threatened species 2016: e.T4150A50184147. https://doi.org/10.2305/IUCN.UK.2016-1.RLTS.T4150A50184147.en. Downloaded on 01 December 2019.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Reading, R., & Shank, C. (2008). Capra sibirica. The IUCN red list of threatened species 2008: e.T42398A10695735. https://doi.org/10.2305/IUCN.UK.2008.RLTS.T42398A10695735.en. Downloaded on 01 December 2019.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ungulate. 2019. In Oxford Online Dictionary. Retrieved from https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/cognition.