Risk Assessment Based on Molecular and Genetic Markers in Prostate Cancer
The current treatment paradigm of prostate cancer has increasingly emphasized the importance of reliable biomarkers that help stratify patients and aid in decision-making. The rapid development of numerous novel biomarkers in the past decade has made this process much more challenging. In this chapter, we provide a comprehensive review of the widely used biomarkers that are supported by clinical evidence. Specifically, the focus will be on diagnostic (PHI®, 4K score, IsoPSA®, SelectMDx®, ConfirmMDx®, PCA3, TMPRSS2:ERG gene fusion) and prognostic (OncotypeDX GPS®, Prolaris®, ProMark®, Decipher®) biomarkers. In order to better understand the value of these biomarkers in clinical decision-making, there will be an emphasis on clinical context as the literature is reviewed.
KeywordsBiomarker Prostate cancer Molecular marker Genetic marker Prognostic
- Bolla M, van Poppel H, Tombal B, Vekemans K, Da Pozzo L, de Reijke TM, et al. Postoperative radiotherapy after radical prostatectomy for high-risk prostate cancer: long-term results of a randomised controlled trial (EORTC trial 22911). Lancet (London, England). 2012;380(9858):2018–27.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Cullen J, Rosner IL, Brand TC, Zhang N, Tsiatis AC, Moncur J, et al. A biopsy-based 17-gene genomic prostate score predicts recurrence after radical prostatectomy and adverse surgical pathology in a racially diverse population of men with clinically low- and intermediate-risk prostate cancer. Eur Urol. 2015;68(1):123–31.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Gnanapragasam VJ, Burling K, George A, Stearn S, Warren A, Barrett T, et al. The prostate health index adds predictive value to multi-parametric MRI in detecting significant prostate cancers in a repeat biopsy population. Sci Rep. 2016;6:35364.Google Scholar
- Gore JL, Plessis MD, Santiago-Jimenez M, Yousefi K, Thompson DJS, Karsh L, et al. Decipher test impacts decision making among patients considering adjuvant and salvage treatment after radical prostatectomy: interim results from the multicenter prospective PRO-IMPACT study. Cancer. 2017;123(15):2850–2859. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.30665. Epub 2017 Apr 19.
- Karnes RJ, Choeurng V, Ross AE, Schaeffer EM, Klein EA, Freedland SJ, et al. Validation of a genomic risk classifier to predict prostate cancer-specific mortality in men with adverse pathologic features. Eur Urol. 2018;73(2):168–175. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2017.03.036. Epub 2017 Apr 8
- Klein EA, Chait A, Hafron JM, Kernen KM, Manickam K, Stephenson AJ, et al. The single-parameter, structure-based IsoPSA assay demonstrates improved diagnostic accuracy for detection of any prostate cancer and high-grade prostate Cancer compared to a concentration-based assay of total prostate-specific antigen: a preliminary report. Eur Urol. 2017;72(6):942–949.Google Scholar
- Le BV, Griffin CR, Loeb S, Carvalhal GF, Kan D, Baumann NA, et al. [-2]Proenzyme prostate specific antigen is more accurate than total and free prostate specific antigen in differentiating prostate cancer from benign disease in a prospective prostate cancer screening study. J Urol. 2010;183(4):1355–9.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Mottet N, Bellmunt J, Bolla M, Briers E, Cumberbatch MG, De Santis M, et al. EAU-ESTRO-SIOG guidelines on prostate cancer. Part 1: screening, diagnosis, and local treatment with curative intent. Eur Urol. 2017;71(4):618–629. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2016.08.003. Epub 2016 Aug 25.
- Ross AE, Feng FY, Ghadessi M, Erho N, Crisan A, Buerki C, Sundi D, Mitra AP, Vergara IA, Thompson DJ, Triche TJ, Davicioni E, Bergstralh EJ, Jenkins RB, Karnes RJ, Schaeffer EM. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2014;17(1):64–9. https://doi.org/10.1038/pcan.2013.49. Epub 2013 Oct 22.
- Shipitsin M, Small C, Giladi E, Siddiqui S, Choudhury S, Hussain S, et al. Automated quantitative multiplex immunofluorescence in situ imaging identifies phospho-S6 and phospho-PRAS40 as predictive protein biomarkers for prostate cancer lethality. Proteome Sci. 2014a;12:40.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Stattin P, Vickers AJ, Sjoberg DD, Johansson R, Granfors T, Johansson M, et al. Improving the specificity of screening for lethal prostate cancer using prostate-specific antigen and a panel of kallikrein markers: a nested case-control study. Eur Urol. 2015;68(2):207–13.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Thompson IM, Tangen CM, Paradelo J, Lucia MS, Miller G, Troyer D, et al. Adjuvant radiotherapy for pathological T3N0M0 prostate cancer significantly reduces risk of metastases and improves survival: long-term followup of a randomized clinical trial. J Urol. 2009;181(3):956–62.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar