Localization in 3D Surface Wireless Sensor Networks
Sensor network localization refers to the process of estimating the locations of sensor nodes with information between neighboring sensor nodes such as connectivity, local distance, and angle measurements. In real-world applications, many large-scale wireless sensor networks (WSNs) are deployed over complex terrains. Formally, a three-dimensional (3D) surface WSN is defined as follows.
Definition 1 (3D Surface Wireless Sensor Network)
A 3D surface sensor network consists of sensor nodes deployed on a 3D surface where wireless signals between nearby nodes propagate along the surface only.
Definition 2 (Localization of 3D Surface Wireless Sensor Network)
Given a 3D surface sensor network with distance measurements between neighboring nodes within their communication range, the localization problem is to recover the 3D coordinates of each sensor node.
- Jin M, Xia S, Wu H, Gu X (2011) Scalable and fully distributed localization with mere connectivity. In: Proceeding of INFOCOM, Shanghai, pp 3164–3172Google Scholar
- Shang Y, Ruml W (2004) Improved MDS-based localization. In: Proceeding of INFOCOM, Hong Kong, pp 2640–2651Google Scholar
- Shang Y, Ruml W, Zhang Y, Fromherz MPJ (2003) Localization from mere connectivity. In: Proceeding of MobiHoc, Annapolis, MD, pp 201–212Google Scholar
- Werner-Allen G, Lorincz K, Johnson J, Lees J, Welsh M (2006) Fidelity and yield in a volcano monitoring sensor network. In: Proceedings of the 7th symposium on operating systems design and implementation, OSDI06, Seattle, WA, pp 381–396Google Scholar
- Yang Y, Jin M, Wu H (2014) 3D surface localization with terrain model. In: Proceeding of IEEE conference on computer communications (INFOCOM), Toronto, pp 46–54Google Scholar
- Zhao Y, Wu H, Jin M, Xia S (2012) Localization in 3D surface sensor networks: challenges and solutions. In: Proceeding of the 31st annual IEEE conference on computer communications (INFOCOM12), Orlando, FL, pp 55–63Google Scholar
- Zhao Y, Wu H, Jin M, Yang Y, Zhou H, Xia S (2013) Cut-and-sew: a distributed autonomous localization algorithm for 3D surface wireless sensor networks. In: Proceeding of the 14th ACM international symposium on mobile ad hoc networking and computing (MobiHoc13), BangaloreGoogle Scholar
- Zhou H, Wu H, Xia S, Jin M, Ding N (2011) A distributed triangulation algorithm for wireless sensor networks on 2D and 3D surface. In: Proceeding of INFOCOM, Shanghai, pp 1053–1061Google Scholar