Per-Beam Synchronization for Millimeter-Wave Massive MIMO
Per-beam synchronization refers to a synchronization approach in wireless transmission where signal synchronization in time and frequency between the transmitter and the receiver is performed over each beam individually.
Millimeter-wave massive multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) is promising for future wireless communications (Swindlehurst et al., 2014; Cui et al., 2018; Huang et al., To appear; Liu et al., 2018; Xiao et al., 2017). One challenge in realizing cellular wireless over millimeter-wave channels is to deal with the mobility issue (Roh et al., 2014; Andrews et al, 2017). For the same mobile speed, the Doppler spread of millimeter-wave channels is orders-of-magnitude larger than that of classical wireless channels, while the delay spread does not change significantly over different frequencies, which may lead to system implementation bottleneck. Consider wideband...
- Andrews JG, Bai T, Kulkarni MN, Alkhateeb A, Gupta AK, Heath RW Jr (2017) Modeling and analyzing millimeter wave cellular systems. IEEE Trans Commun 65(1):403–430Google Scholar
- Cui Y, Fang X, Fang Y, Xiao M (2018) Optimal non-uniform steady mmWave beamforming for high speed railway. IEEE Trans Veh Technol 67(5):4350–4359. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2018.2796621
- Dahlman E, Parkvall S, Sköld J (2014) 4G LTE/LTE-advanced for mobile broadband, 2nd edn. Academic Press, WalthamGoogle Scholar
- Huang Y, Zhang J, Xiao M (To appear) Constant envelope hybrid precoding for directional millimeter-wave communications. IEEE J Sel Areas Commun (JSAC) Ser Phys Layer Secur 5G Wirel Netw. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSAC.2018.2825820
- Liu Y, Fang X, Xiao M, Mumtaz S (2018) Decentralized beam pair selection in multi-beam millimeter-wave networks. IEEE Trans Commun. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCOMM.2018.2800756
- Pätzold M, Hogstad BO (2006) A wideband space-time MIMO channel simulator based on the geometrical one-ring model. In: Proceedings of IEEE VTC Fall, Montreal, pp 1–6Google Scholar