History of Korean Urban Development
- 2 Downloads
The concept of urban development is broad, encompassing the formation and expansion of urban spaces (urbanization) as well as the expansion and elaboration of urban society and economy (urban development), new development to replace old (urban redevelopment), making old urban spaces new (urban renewal), and the process of bringing dying urban spaces back to life (urban regeneration). A unifying element in urban development is the movement towards urbanism as a dominating value in society and the idea that development represents a sort of progress from less developed to more developed.
This chapter tries to see how that process has happened in South Korea. The nation has undergone a remarkable set of transformations in the past century, from the anti-Japanese independence struggle inaugurated 100 years ago through national liberation in 1945...
- Anderson CD, Wang HJ (2018) Fantasia Bucheon. Paper presented at 2018 Midwest Sociology Society, MinneapolisGoogle Scholar
- Cho MR (2003) Trend and prospect of urbanization in Korea: reflections on Korean cities. Econ Soc 60:10–39Google Scholar
- Cho MR (2010) Urbanization of Korea and fate of local. Hwanghae Rev 69:32–53Google Scholar
- Han JS. Go to the City of Jeong-gu Jae (Korea Democracy Foundation, 2014). http://www.kdemo.or.kr/blog/location/post/902. Accessed on 30 Dec 2018
- KOSIS. Urbanization Rate (Korean Statistical Information Service, 2018). http://kosis.kr/statHtml/statHtml.do?orgId=101&tblId=DT_2KAA204. Accessed on 26 Dec 2018
- Lee JY, Anderson CD (2013) Cultural policy and the state of urban development in the capital of South Korea. In: Grodach C, Silver D (eds) The politics of urban cultural policy: global perspectives. Routledge, London, pp 111–119Google Scholar
- Lee SH, Moon MS, Jang YB, Park IS, Chae MJ, Choi SW (2011) A comparative study on the urbanization process between Korea and China. Gyeonggi Research Institute, Gyeonggi-doGoogle Scholar
- Ministry of Land. Infrastructure and transport, The 1st comprehensive national territorial plan (Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, 1971). http://www.molit.go.kr/USR/WPGE0201/m_36668/DTL.jsp. Accessed on 3 May 2019
- Ministry of Land. Infrastructure and transport, The 2nd comprehensive national territorial plan (Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, 1981). http://www.molit.go.kr/USR/WPGE0201/m_36668/DTL.jsp. Accessed on 3 May 2019
- United Nations. Percentage of population in urban and rural areas (United Nations, 2018). https://population.un.org/wup/Country-Profiles/. Accessed on 26 Dec 2018
- World Bank. Urban population (% of total) (World Bank, 2018). https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.URB.TOTL.IN.ZS?contextual=default&end=2017&locations=KR&name_desc=false&start=1960&view=chart. Accessed on 26 Dec 2018