Palliative Care and Neurodegenerative Diseases
Neurological disease is a major cause of disability and death across the world. There is increasing evidence that palliative care is effective in managing symptoms, maintaining and improving quality of life and helping patients and families cope with the deterioration. As the disease progression varies, both between diseases and for individuals. palliative care may be involved for varying periods of time, and may need to be involved episodically throughout the disease progression. Careful assessment of all the issues – physical, psychosocial and spiritual – will allow appropriate management and support for patients and families. Carer support is very important as families face all the issues of coping with a progressive disease. Recognition of the later stages of life is helpful in enabling patients, families and professionals to be able to prepare for the dying phase and manage all the issues appropriately.
- Alzheimer’s Society. http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=412. Accessed 26 July 2015.
- Andersen PM, Abrahams S, Borasio GD, de Carvalho M, Chio A, Van Damme P, Hardiman O, Kollewe K, Morrison KE, Petri S, Pradat PF, Silani V, Tomik B, Wasner M, Weber M, The EFNS Task Force on Diagnosis and Management of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. EFNS guidelines on the clinical management of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (MALS) – revised report of an EFNS task force. Eur J Neurol. 2012;19:360–75.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Aoun SM, Breen LJ, Howting D, Edis R, Oliver D, Henderson R, O’Connor M, Harris R, Birks C. Receiving the news of a diagnosis of motor neuron disease: what does it take to make it better? Amyotroph Lat Scler FTD. 2015;17:168–78.Google Scholar
- Aoun SM, Breen LJ, Oliver D et al. Family carers’ experiences of receiving the news of a diagnosis of Motor Neurone Disease: A national survey. J Neurol Sci 2017; 372: 144–151.Google Scholar
- Bede P, Hardiman O, O’Brannagain D. An integrated framework of early intervention palliative care in motor neurone disease as a model to progressive neurodegenerative disease. Poster at European ALS congress, Turin; 2009.Google Scholar
- Bernheim JL, Raus K. Euthanasia embedded in palliative care. Responses to essentialistic criticisms of the Belgian model of integral end-of-life care. J Med Ethics. 2017;43:489–494.Google Scholar
- Chapman S. Advance care planning. In: Oliver D, editor. End of life care in neurological disease. London: Springer; 2012.Google Scholar
- General Medical Council. End of life care: glossary of terms. Available from: http://www.gmc-uk.org/guidance/ethical_guidance/end_of_life_glossary_of_terms.asp. Accessed 8 Feb 2017.
- GSF, G.-S.-F. Proactive identification guidance. 2016. Available from: http://www.goldstandardsframework.org.uk/library-tools-amp-resources. Accessed 8 Feb 2017.
- Jennings AL, et al. Opioids for the palliation of breathlessness in terminal illness. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2001;(4). https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD00266
- Lambert R. Spiritual care. In: Oliver D, Borasio GD, Johnston W, editors. Palliative care in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis – from diagnosis to bereavement. 3rd ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2014.Google Scholar
- Miller RG, Jackson CE, Karsarkis EJ, England JD, Forshew D, Johnston W, et al. Practice parameter update: the care of the patient with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: multidisciplinary care, symptom management, and cognitive/behavioural impairment (an evidence-based review). Neurology. 2009;73:1227–33.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- National End of Life Care Programme. End of life care in long term neurological conditions: a framework for implementation: National End of Life Care Programme; 2010. www.mssociety.org.uk/sites/default/files/Documents/Professionals/End%20life%20care%20long%20term%20neuro%20conditions.pdf
- NICE. Parkinson’s disease in over 20s: diagnosis and management. 2006. Available from: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg35.
- Office for National Statistics. 2012. www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/vsob1/mortality-statistics-deaths-registered-in-england-and-wales-dr/2012/dr-tables-2012-xls. Accessed 21 July 2015.
- Oliver DJ, Borasio GD, Caraceni A, de Visser M, Grisold W, Lorenzl S, Veronese S, Voltz R. A consensus review on the development of palliative care for patients with chronic and progressive neurological disease. Eur J Neurol. 2016;23:30–8. https://doi.org/10.1111/ene.12889.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Radunovic A, et al. Mechanical ventilation for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis/motor neuron disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013;28(3):CD004427.Google Scholar
- Sampson EL, Candy B, Jones L. Enteral tube feeding for older people with advanced dementia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2009;15(2):CD007209.Google Scholar
- Seeber AA, Pols AJ, Hijdra A, Grupstra HF, Willems DL, de Visser M. Experiences and reflections of patients with motor neuro disease on breaking the news in a two-tiered appointment : a qualitative study. BMJ Support Palliat Care. 2016;(1-9). https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjspcare-2015-000977.
- Shaw C, Quinn A, Daniel E. Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis / motor neurone disease. In: Oliver D, Borasio G, Johnston W, editors. Palliative care in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis- from diagnosis to bereavement. 3rd ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2014.Google Scholar
- Smith S, Wasner M. Psychosocial care. In: Oliver D, Borasio GD, Johnston W, editors. Palliative care in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis- from diagnosis to bereavement. 3rd ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2014.Google Scholar
- Thomas, K. and J. Armstrong Wilson. The Gold Standards Framework Proactive Identification Guidance (PIG). 2016. Available from: www.goldstandardsframework.nhs.uk. Accessed 8 Feb 2017.
- Veronese S, Gallo G, et al. Specialist palliative care improves the quality of life in advanced neurodegenerative disorders: NE-PAL, a pilot randomised controlled study. BMJ Support Palliat Care. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjspcare-2014-000788.
- Walshe M. Oropharyngeal dysphagia in neurodegenerative disease. J Gastroenterol Hepatol Res. 2014;3(10):1265–71.Google Scholar
- Whetten-Goldstein K, et al. Financial burden of chronic neurological disorders to patients and their families: what providers need to know. J Neurol Phys Ther. 2000;24:140–4.Google Scholar
- World Health Organisation. Global burden of neurological disorders: estimates and projections. In: Neurological disorders- public health challenges. Geneva: World Health Organisation; 2006.Google Scholar
- World Health Organization. Palliative care. 2002. www.who.int/cancer/palliative/definition/en/. Accessed 26 July 2015.