Neurological disease is a major cause of disability and death across the world. There is increasing evidence that palliative care is effective in managing symptoms, maintaining and improving quality of life and helping patients and families cope with the deterioration. As the disease progression varies, both between diseases and for individuals. palliative care may be involved for varying periods of time, and may need to be involved episodically throughout the disease progression. Careful assessment of all the issues – physical, psychosocial and spiritual – will allow appropriate management and support for patients and families. Carer support is very important as families face all the issues of coping with a progressive disease. Recognition of the later stages of life is helpful in enabling patients, families and professionals to be able to prepare for the dying phase and manage all the issues appropriately.
- Albanese A, Bhatia K, Bressman SB, Delong MR, Fahn S, Fung VS, Hallett M, Jankovic J, Jinnah HA, Klein C, Lang AE, Mink JW, Teller JK. Phenomenology and classification of dystonia: a consensus update. Mov Disord. 2013;28:863–73. https://doi.org/10.1002/mds.25475.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Arenella C. Coma and persistent vegetative state: an exploration of terms. 2017. https://americanhospice.org/caregiving/coma-and-persistent-vegetative-state-an-exploration-of-terms/. Retrieved 20 Apr 2017.
- Bade P. Improving communication when hearing loss is present #241. J Palliat Med. 2011;14(7):876–7. https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2011.9672. PMID: 21699426.
- Bisdorff A, Bosser AG, et al. The epidemiology of vertigo, dizziness, and unsteadiness and its links to co-morbidities. Front Neurol. 2013;4(29). https://doi.org/10.3389/fneur.2013.00029. eCollection 2013.
- Bryan Young, G. Stupor and coma in adults 2015; UpToDate.Google Scholar
- Carlos K, Prado GF, et al. Benzodiazepines for restless legs syndrome. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017; 20(3). CD006939. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD006939.pub2. Review.PMID: 28319266.
- Cuenca J, Glazebrook C, Kendall T, Hedderly T, Heyman I, et al. BMC Psychiatry. 2015;15:46. Published online 11 Mar 2015. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12888-015-0430-0.
- Dal Bello-Haas V, Florence JM, Krivickas LS. Therapeutic exercise for people with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis or motor neuron disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013;2:CD005229.Google Scholar
- de Oliveira CO, Carvalho LB, et al. Opioids for restless legs syndrome. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016; 29(6). CD006941. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD006941.pub2. Review.PMID:27355187.
- Kumar A, Weber MH, Gokaslan Z, et al. Metastatic spinal cord compression and steroid treatment: A systematic review. Clin Spine Surg. 2017;30:156–163.Google Scholar
- Lahrmann H, Grisold W. Locked-in syndrome. In: Voltz R, Bernat JL, Borasio GD, et al., editors. Palliative care in neurology. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2004. p. 135–42.Google Scholar
- Levack P, Graham J, Collie D, et al. Scottish Cord Compression Study Group. Don't wait for a sensory level–listen to the symptoms: a prospective audit of the delays in diagnosis of malignant cord compression. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2002;14:472–80.Google Scholar
- MD Guidelines. 2017. Available from: http://www.mdguidelines.com/dizziness-and-giddiness.
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE). Metastatic spinal cord compression in adults: risk assessment, diagnosis and management. 2008. www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg75.
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. Motor neurone disease: assessment and management. NICE Guideline NG 42. NICE 2016. www.nice.org.uk/guidance/NG42
- Pall HS. Involuntary movements. In: Williams AC, editor. Patient care in neurology. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 1999. p. 127–43.Google Scholar
- Saarto T, Wiffen PJ. Antidepressants for neuropathic pain: a Cochrane review. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2010;81(12):1372–3. https://doi.org/10.1136/jnnp.2008.144964. Epub 2010 Jun 11. Review.
- The Palliative Care Formulary. 2016. Available from: http://www.palliativedrugs.com/.
- Uecker FC, Olze H, et al. Longitudinal testing of olfactory and gustatory function in patients with multiple sclerosis. PLoS One. 2017;2(1):e0170492. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0170492. eCollection 2017.
- Woelk CJ. Managing hiccups. Can Fam Physcian. 2011;57:672–5.Google Scholar
- World Health Organization. Palliative care. 2002. www.who.int/cancer/palliative/definition/en/. Accessed 26 July 2015.
- Yorston D. The role of the ophthalmologist in advanced disease. In: Dunn G, Johnson A, editors. Surgical palliative care; 2004. Oxford Scholarship Online.Google Scholar